1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 'MBR error 2' after flashing BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Valfar, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Valfar

Valfar Thread Starter

I just flashed/upgraded my BIOS for my motherboard, and now XP doesn't even boot up.
    After the BIOS load, I get a "MBR error 2" message and it just stays there.
    My board is an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe. I used the Asus Update Utility to flash my BIOS.

Please help, what do I do?!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you SURE you used the right BIOS version for your MB? Did you make a backup copy of the BIOS before you did the FLASH?

I'd start by clearing the BIOS CMOS to factory defaults and see if that helps. If not, I'd FLASH with your backup copy of the original BIOS if you made one. If not, you may have to download again, making SURE you have the correct file for your exact MB model.

3. Valfar

Valfar Thread Starter

I am positive it was the correct BIOS.
    Now, I am trying to borrow the XP CD from a friend (thats legal right) since my computer didn't come with a copy.
    Second, I did save a copy of the old BIOS, but I saved it to my HD, since I don't have a floppy disk.
    I think what happened was that I had Acronis backup tool installed, and it edits your boot sequence, and maybe the new BIOS didn't like that.
    How can I reset my MBR to my default setting? Sorry, I am kind of a noob...

4. JohnWill

Actually, it's very unlikely that his CD will work with your OEM serial number, so I suggest you rethink that option.

Oh, and Acronis True Image does nothing to your boot sequence, I run it on a number of machines here.

If you want to reset your MBR to a working default, you can boot an MS-DOS startup disk and type: FDISK /MBR at the command prompt. You can also boot an XP CD and use the recovery console to run FIXBOOT.

5. Valfar

Valfar Thread Starter

I ran fixmbr and now the 'MBR error 2" isnt even showing, just a blank dos page.
    I cannot believe this, all I wanted to do was flash my BIOS, this is not fair...

6. JohnWill

I still believe that you have a BIOS update issue, not a disk corruption issue.

Can you boot from a floppy or CD?

7. Valfar

Valfar Thread Starter

Yes, I can boot from CD, thats how I was able to use the recovery console.
    I agree that it is not a harddrive issue, but dont know what to do.

8. JohnWill

Since the problem happened when you upgraded the BIOS, I'd start there. Have you reset the BIOS to factory defaults? Depending on the MB, there's usually a jumper on the board, or you can remove the CMOS battery for half an hour.

You'll then have to enter the BIOS and reconfigure anything you might have customized.

9. Valfar

Valfar Thread Starter

No I havent done that, but I dont know how to per se, could you explain me how to reset it to the default settings, or how to remove the battery?
    Also, what does this do? How does this help?
    Just curious, trying to learn from all this experience...

10. JohnWill

The BIOS version may not map all the internal variables to the same place in the CMOS memory, so clearing them to defaults is the way to get sensible values back into all of the configuration variables.

Your board should have a "CLEAR CMOS" jumper on it. See the picture and description below.

Attached Files:

11. Valfar

Valfar Thread Starter

How does this affect RAID options?
    I remember reading somewhere that reseting the BIOS will also reset the RAID options.
    Is it easy to set up RAID 0 again?

12. Valfar

Valfar Thread Starter

I am happy to inform you guys that I am typing this from my computer :)
    All the problem was that after the Flashing, the SATA RAID 0 settings had gotten defaulted so I enabled them and bam! All running smooth :)

13. JohnWill

I suspect the BIOS upgrade reset the parameters for you. :)

Glad you got it going.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice