1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MBR Leftovers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dking63, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

I solved my partition problem from a few days ago. I have everything on one great big, beautiful partition. But when I boot up my computer, it gives me an OS selection screen listing Win MCE and two XP PRO.Two of those, the MCE and the 2nd XP PRO are from failed installations. How can I get rid of them?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Open your C:\boot.ini file with Notepad, copy and paste the contents here.
    (I could tell you to edit it using msconfig, but you don't want to delete the wrong two).

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try this . . Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and click on Check all boot paths . . if it comes back with one or more is invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths

4. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

This is from C:\ drive, 250 GB, 1 partition with Win XP PRO

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

This is from D:\ drive, 1 partition with Win XP PRO

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

A little history. I got a new 250 GB WD PATA hard drive, and Win XP MCE to install on it. I could not get it to install, and in the process, screwed up my Win XP PRO on the 80 GB Seagate hard drive. I tried to repair that one, but was unable to. I finally had to disconnect the old drive and partition the new one to get XP PRO installed. The computer would not read the old drive after I hooked it back up. Now today, it suddenly decided to start reading the old drive again. The new one is set as master, but BIOS is reading them the other way. (Yes, I do have the cable and jumpers set correctly). The first (MCE) and last selestions on the boot menu are bad, the middle one boots me to the XP PRO on my new hard drive.

5. Frank4d

This should work for the D drive:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

6. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

Thanks Frank. That did the trick. :)

7. Frank4d

Change "timeout=30" to "timeout=1" and shave 29 seconds off your boot time. (y)

8. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

There is no delay as there are no other OSes now. So it goes straight to login :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice