Solved: MBR Leftovers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dking63

I solved my partition problem from a few days ago. I have everything on one great big, beautiful partition. But when I boot up my computer, it gives me an OS selection screen listing Win MCE and two XP PRO.Two of those, the MCE and the 2nd XP PRO are from failed installations. How can I get rid of them?

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Open your C:\boot.ini file with Notepad, copy and paste the contents here.
(I could tell you to edit it using msconfig, but you don't want to delete the wrong two).

Try this . . Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and click on Check all boot paths . . if it comes back with one or more is invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths

dking63

This is from C:\ drive, 250 GB, 1 partition with Win XP PRO

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

This is from D:\ drive, 1 partition with Win XP PRO

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

A little history. I got a new 250 GB WD PATA hard drive, and Win XP MCE to install on it. I could not get it to install, and in the process, screwed up my Win XP PRO on the 80 GB Seagate hard drive. I tried to repair that one, but was unable to. I finally had to disconnect the old drive and partition the new one to get XP PRO installed. The computer would not read the old drive after I hooked it back up. Now today, it suddenly decided to start reading the old drive again. The new one is set as master, but BIOS is reading them the other way. (Yes, I do have the cable and jumpers set correctly). The first (MCE) and last selestions on the boot menu are bad, the middle one boots me to the XP PRO on my new hard drive.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
This should work for the D drive:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Change "timeout=30" to "timeout=1" and shave 29 seconds off your boot time. (y)

dking63

There is no delay as there are no other OSes now. So it goes straight to login :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online