1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: McAfee Update 7.2 cannot now access Outlook Express

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Red Boy, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

When I purchased my Dell laptop, approx. one year ago, with Windows XP, I also purchased three years of McAffee Security Suite. This morning I was given the option by McAfee to upgrade, no charge of course, to version 7.2, which I did. Download and installation went flawlessly. However when I attempt to access my Outlook Express e-mail account from Cox, I receive the following message:

"The connection to the server has failed. Account pop.east.cox.net, Server 127.0.0.1, Protocol: POP3, PORT:110. Secure (SSL): No, socket error: 10061, Error Number:Ox800CCOE"

I called Cox to inquire if they were having server problems in this area. They responded in the negative. So it would appear that some part of my updated McAfee Security Suite, must be affecting my access to my Outlook Express account.

Any suggestions/recommendation as to where I should go from here? Does this seem to be the firewall preventing the access or can my spam filter be the culprit?

I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Red Boy

2. stantley

stantley

3. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

No, Stantley, that wasn't it. I disabled spam killer, but still the same error message. I have been working on this for hours. Completely frustrated because I use Outlook Express to send e-mails with gifs and music. Am not familar with any other e-mail program that does this as easily as this.

Sure hope that others read my posting and offer their assistance.

But thanks for your help.

Red Boy

4. uluboy

uluboy

My Solution: Uninstall SpamKiller AND Privacy Service

I had the full SecurityCenter suite, though I really only wanted the firewall and virus protection. I got rid of SpamKiller and reset the firewall to its default values, but this didn't work. Then I installed Privacy Service and my problems went away.

I'd Googled a lot and never found this solution. I hope it works for you and everyone else who finds this page!!! I had a sinking feeling when I ran into these problems, so I hope I can alleviate some pain for others. I've included some of the words I searched for below, in the hopes that others might use the same to find a solution.

Keywords:
    mcafee security center spamkiller privacy service killed outlook pop3 access receive delays mail server disable

5. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

Uluboy, thanks I'm at the stage that I'll try anything. However, I need additional help/clarification. Where do I find Privacy Service on the suite? And did you install or uninstall same? And am I to understand that you left SpamKiller disabled?

Thanks,
    Red Boy

6. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

7. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

Thanks, wtxcowboy. Tried most of what Microsoft suggested. No go. Tried communicating with McAfee, but these pompous so and sos were of littdle help. In disgust and frustration, I uninstalled the McAfee Security Center and will eat the costs of their product, which I subscribed to when purchasing this machine. Have now installed AVG Free 5. I like this product. Have it on my wife's machine and works beautifully. However, my problem still exists. That is, I cannot receive mail on Outlook Express 6. I can send mail, but not receive. Have been communicating with Cox, my ISP, who is supposed to call me Wednesday. Not optimistic about their response. I am presently getting the following error message when I attempt to receive my e-mail in Outlook Express 6:

"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'pop.east.cox.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid user name or password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

Of course, besides being able to send e-mail via Outlook Express, I can get "Reply" responses via Cox Web Mail. But this is a cumbersome exercise to retrieve.

I am going to continue to look for a solution, which at this time has me scratching my bald head.

If anyone has any other additional thoughts, I would welcome same.

Thanks,
    Red Boy

8. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

r u using ie7? if so, go 2 add/remove programs & roll back 2 ie6, restart & see how olexp works then!! :D i had these same issues when i updated 2 ie7, then rolled it back & things went back 2 "normal". it also could be ur firewall settings... still using mcafee 4 a firewall? try comodo pro... it's free & i prefer it 2 zonealarm.

9. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

wtxcowboy, please check my New Thread right under this one about IE 7. I had same thoughts as you. I no longer use McAfee at all. Am behind a router. And Shields Up says I am completely invisible. So don't think I will go the firewall route. But if you will, please give me your comments about IE 7 disrupting programs placed on subsequently to IE 7's installation.

Thanks,
    Red Boy

10. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

i did read u had unistalled the mcafee suite, but was wondering if u kept the firewall just cuz? what firewall r u using besides the router? i had the same issues exactly as u, rolled back ie7 to v6 played with my a/v, played with my firewall (was using zonealarm @ the time) & then changed my security settings on the router (Belkin). somewhere in 1 of those, my email started working again. think it was a combo of rolling back 2 ie6 & reconfiguring my router... just keep trying & eventually something will work lol. not much help, but that's what i had 2 do :)

11. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

Thanks, wtxcowboy, I will keep playing until such time as it works.

Thanks again for your attention and help.

Red Boy

12. uluboy

uluboy

Sorry to take so long to get back. What I did was uninstall SpamKiller, reboot, (Outlook still didn't work), uninstall Privacy Service, and reboot (Outlook worked).

My problem was that I couldn't send a test message or receive mail from my POP3 account. (You can see this in Outlook if you go to Tools/Accounts, go into your account, and tell it to test the connection. (I don't recall the exact wording.)

To uininstall the McAfee programs, I simply went to Add/Remove Programs in my control panel, selected McAfee Security Center, and clicked the button to change/uninstall. The window that popped up let me either click or unclick SpamKiller and Privacy Service (one at a time, as I mentioned) and then uninstall that component. I didn't have to uninstall the whole program, which is what it seems some had to do.

I recently purchased the full security suite on my wife's new laptop. What a mistake. McAfee also had a lower cost suite that had less. I imagine that would have been the smart buy.

With this experience, I would recommend that anyone who buys a Dell with the Security Suite should immediately uninstall SpamKiller and the Privacy Service. In my opinion, it's not worth the frustration. (I have no qualms with the firewall, antivirus, or site advisor.)

13. KSplat

KSplat

Thanks so much for the info. My Dell laptop just asked if I wanted to update my McAfee to 7.2. I figured what could it hurt but after I did the update I couldn't get connected to the internet through IE7. I tried all kinds of stuff but nothing worked. Finally, I had to get on my desktop and search out the problem. Thank goodness for this site. Once I removed the SpamKiller and Privacy Service my laptop is backup and running. My desktop computer will not be going to McAfee 7.2.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!