1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: McAfeee error: Explorer Overload stopped

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Midge00001, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Midge00001

Midge00001 Thread Starter

McAfee has automatically blocked a buffer overflow.

About this Buffer Overflow
    File: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Buffer overflows can cause leg prog...(McAfee's explination)

System:
    Microsoft Windows Xp Professional V. 2002, Service Pack 3

Computer:
    AMD 64 FX-28 Processor
    1.60 GHz, 1.50 GB of Ram

This comes up whenever he tries to access the internet. He has tried removing Internet Explorer, Rebooting, Readding it, Rebooting, no help, he has run Super Anti Spyware, nothing, he has run McAfee, nothing.

Any help? He's frustrated and I'm not able to give him more to do to fix it, run out of my limited knowledge base.

I'm about to put HiJack This onto my Thumbie and run that on his computer so I can put it here for you, but that will take me a bit of time.

Any Help would be appreciated.
    :confused:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

So every time he starts Internet Explorer, Mcafee reports it stopped a buffer overflow? Or is that every time he goes to a certain web site, that Mcafee reports that?

3. Midge00001

He cannot kick off IE without it going to the McAfee error. He cannot get into the internet using IE period. However we play COH/COV an online game. He can get into that without a problem. I hope this answers what you were asking.

Thank You for answering, I have really tried but I'm out of ideas.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

I am guessing that the home page that IE loads is causing the buffer overflow. Go to Internet Options in control panel and set the home page to a blank page and see what happens.

5. new tech guy

new tech guy

Try also a known safe page like msn.com which shouldnt cause it, if it does or a blank page does probably somthing wrong with mcafee

6. Midge00001

Thank you so much, just got home so we will try that tomorrow. I will fill you in on the results. If it doesn't work may try a new install of McAfee that might be a way to try it as well. Home page is Comcast's homepage so not sure if it would cause issue, but who knows with them these days.

Thanks again you two.:)

7. Midge00001

Thank you for your help. He took McAfee off of his computer and reinstalled it from the site, not his computer. This has worked, no more error. Thank you so much for your help.

Midge and Hubby

Means he has quit griping and all is right with the world again, we can play COH/COV again:)
    :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice