1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Media Center Does Not Record Scheduled Programs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by unclewoody, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unclewoody

unclewoody Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3985 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1800 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 425495 MB, Free - 33732 MB; D: Total - 23407 MB, Free - 19397 MB; I: Total - 953835 MB, Free - 568106 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Veriton Z4620G
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

All of a sudden, my Win 7 Media Center quit recording sheduled programs.
    Regardless of whether scheduled from the Guide or by Time and Channel.
    I can record from Live TV, just not anything scheduled in advance.
    I have turned the MC off and back on, via the Control Panel, with no change.
    When I check 'view scheduled', they show up correctly, but then do not record.
    I rarely shut my computer down -- just put it in sleep mode.
    Since I am able to view Live (with the HDHomerun Prime), I feel it must be something in MC.
    Most of the recordings of which I speak are in the wee hours, and only one at a time, so there is no tuner conflict within the Homerun.

2. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Have you set the pc to wake for recording?

Attached Files:

3. unclewoody

Thanks, and I don't know, but if it is necessary, I have done so, because it recorded scheduled programs fine until about two weeks ago.

4. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Set wmc to record something soon and see if he pc wakes up to do it.

5. unclewoody

Thanks, Paul -- I thought of that late last night and did so, first thing this morning.
    No recording.
    However, I just found out a couple of interesting points:
    1. It seems to take a long time (about 45 sec.) for Media Center to come up on my computer, but about 5 sec. on my wife's.
    2. While my computer was 'searching for tuners' for live TV, I went to my wife's, got live TV up, turned Media Center off, and mine was still searching for tuners when I came back to it.
    It appears to me, that my Media Center has major problems, but I do not know that much about the program -- I just use it.
    Do you, or anyone else out there, know of any way in which I can check or validate the workings of the program?

6. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Two things to try:

1. Go to control panel> programs and features - upper left, Turn features on/off.

Screen opens - expand media and uncheck wmc and reboot.

Go back and check it and reboot.

See if it fixes your problem.

2. Do a channel scan

Can you attach your wide's tuner to your pc and see if problem persists?

When you re-enable wmc, the default to save recordings will be your C drive.

If you don't want it to fill up that drive, go to recording defaults and change to a different hdd.

Attached Files:

7. unclewoody

Good suggestions, Paul, but I had already tried number one, and we are on the network connection to the same Homerun tuner.
    Since it did work so well on her computer, I did uninstall and re-install the Homerun software on my computer, so we will see, over the weekend, how that works out.
    At least, I am now able to get live TV on mine, so it is finding the tuner(s).

8. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Good luck - let us know if it helps.

9. unclewoody

I do not want to chance being premature by marking this as solved just yet, but I WAS able to record one scheduled program from sleep mode.
    I'll keep working on it over the weekend.

10. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

What did you do to accomplish the recording?

Just noticed the re installation.:eek:

11. unclewoody

Paul, Thanks for being Johnny-on-the-spot!

12. unclewoody

I certainly do not recommend this to everyone, but I was having so much trouble with Media Center, and some other slow and unpredictable results, that I decided to do a factory reset.
    I did so over the weekend, and have been able to record three scheduled programs, and Media Center is much quicker to respond, so I will consider this thread solved and closed.
    Now, if Silicondust could only design a tuner which would not have so much signal interference as I, and as several others have reported, have with the Homerun Prime!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice