1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: media centre live tv no sound or picture

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by scudybeef, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scudybeef

scudybeef Thread Starter

hi,,been having a problem with WMC for the past 6 weeks,,it started when i swapped a radeon gfx card for Nvidia,,i uninstalled the gfx drivers first,then took out the radeon card,replaced with Nvidia,started the computer so that drivers self installed,,everything looked fine,until i opened media centre.

The first thing i noticed was the size of the player when opened,,it was in 4:3,,not 16:9,,and by this,i mean the actual shape of the player on the screen,not playback.I went into the settings for the player to try and change the shape of the player,but it kept going back to 4:3 shape.

So i thought to just ignore this for now and retune the channels,but nothing was found,couldn't get past the "no tuner found page,so after a few hours trying to get things set,i gave up,,uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and card,reinstalled the radeon,booted the comp,let the drivers install from windows for the card,thinking that everything would be back to normal,but i,ve had no tv at all since this date (18/12/2012).

I've retuned possibly 100 times or more since then,bringing different results every time,,sometimes finding just 6 channels,,sometimes 14,,or 50,,very random,,either way,nothing would ever show on screen when i pressed live tv,just a black screen with no sound.

I've also noticed that when i close the player after it found only a few channels,the tv dongle would light up,(not the usual daily update,as i dont get the icon in tray,whereas i do if the data is updating),after which i would open WMC to find more channels have been found!!i now have 123 channels,which i believe to be correct,however,some channels are not in correct order and they have strange channel numbers attached to them,for instance,SKY NEWS is number 9033,it should be 82.

Some channels are correct,some aren't,the channel info is there,the time slider is visible,,apart from the numbers and not being able to see or hear anything,things look normal!

I've done a complete reinstallation of windows 7,(couldn't do system restore,as not enough space had been allocated,,sorted this now),tried 2 different usb tuners,tested the coax on a freeview tv box,worked perfect,bought a new aerial connector that plugs into the usb tuner,installed the blazed tv software that came with the tuner,which again,doesn't find all channels(80 at last count),but instead of a black screen,i get heavy coloured pixelation and large blocks with occasional bursts of non understandable sound,again,channel numbers not correct.

Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 Build 7601 32-bit
    4 gig ram,3 usable
    ati radeon 4350 HD gfx card
    codec for windows 7 pack 4.0.5
    biostar G31d-m7
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz

i have absolutely no more ideas to try,if i had any hair,i would be pulling it out,,if anybody can help with this situation,i would be extremely grateful,,i'm willing to try whatever is needed!!

i'm wondering if codecs are at fault?,i've tried shark007 codecs,also another codec pack from download dot com,but still no luck,,everything else plays fine,internet vids,WMP,DVD's,,previously recorded programs play fine in WMC.

HELPPPPPPPPP!!

Thank's for reading this long description,anymore info needed,please ask,thx.

2. scudybeef

scudybeef Thread Starter

wow,this is the fourth post across different forums and not 1 single person has any idea as to what could be happening.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    A few reasons why...Windows Media Center doesn't have a huge following and you have pretty much covered all of the basics.

With that said, I suspect a faulty tuner.

A few thoughts, it's not codec related. You don't need any extra codecs installed for it to function. Windows/Media Center supply all of the codecs needed for it to operate.

Pick a video card, install it, and then perform a fresh install of Windows. After the installation, manually update all of the system/motherboard drivers, followed by the video drivers, followed by any other hardware. Reboot as needed during the installation. After driver updates are completed, run Windows Update and ensure Windows is fully patched and updated...rebooting as needed.

After a bare Windows install is completed and patched, configure Media Center.

If the random scanning or any other issues persist, I'd suspect the tuner is faulty.

4. scudybeef

scudybeef Thread Starter

been lookin for this thread for ages:update,tried tuner in windows 7 laptop,worked perfectly,found all channels with sound and picture,so i know the tuner works fine,plus i bought another just in case.

how would i go about manually installing m/board system drivers without using windows update?,,blinkin determined to get to the bottom of this.,,,thx for reply.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You can get all of the drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website. Simply download the files (typically exe files) and then run/install.

6. scudybeef

scudybeef Thread Starter

hi,from what i can find,i believe my motherboard is upto date,,i ran a bios update utility which said bios was upto date,is this what you mean when you said to check if motherboard is upto date?,,thx for the reply...p.s...its a biostar G31D-M7 if thats of any help.

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
    Installed: 12/02/2013 15:56:30 BIOSTAR Group G31D-M7
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded Board: BIOSTAR Group G31D-M7
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080014 02/01/2010
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    620.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    241.79 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D ATA Device [Optical drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST3120022A [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3JT2FTT9, rev 3.06, SMART Status: Healthy
    ST3500418AS [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5VM54RET, rev CC38, SMART Status: Healthy 3072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
    Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 1) * 500.00 GB 215.55 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 0) 120.02 GB 26.24 GB free

7. scudybeef

scudybeef Thread Starter

OMG OMG OMG,sorry for being over dramatic,,but its WORKING,,i went into bios and just pressed load defaults,rebooted and now it seems to be working after tuning for channels...for the life of me,i cant think of anything else i have done that would suddenly make it work,,if i do remember,i will post on here in case anyone else has same problem,,thx for the time taken to help me :)

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Glad you got it figured out.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice