1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] media player 8

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by factor, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. factor

factor Thread Starter

hi. im using media player 8 and windows xp. this is not a real problem but just annoying. i downloaded a few mp3s and played them in media player as they were downloading. the sound quality was not so good so i deleted these files before they finished downloading. now, when i press the file menu in media player these songs are still listed even though i deleted them weeks ago. ive deleted them from menus and playlists but THEYRE STILL THERE! any suggestions please. thanx in advance..

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Are you talking about the "Recent File List" entries on the File menu just above the Exit entry?

3. factor

factor Thread Starter

yes, inbetween 'work offline' and 'exit'.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Right click on the attachment here and select "Save Target As". When you save it, change the .txt extension to .reg so the file name reads wmp_clearrecentfilelist.reg and then save it.

Now double left click on the .reg file and follow the prompts.

Attached Files:

5. factor

factor Thread Starter

bryan. i couldnt 'save target as' so i opened it anyway and this is what i got:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\RecentFileList]. what does the HKEY mean. i couldnt find this location or CURRENT USER. can you tell me how to get there please?

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It's a location in the Windows registry. You won't find it by just browsing your hard drive. If you know how to use Regedit, you can delete it manually or if you do this, the registry file I created will delete it for you

When it opens in Notepad, click on File>SaveAs. Now rename the file to wmp.reg in the file name box and click on Save.

Once that's done, double left click on wmp.reg to execute it. Follow the prompts and when it's done, your the listings on the menu in WMP should be gone.

7. factor

factor Thread Starter

ok. when i double left click on it the menu that appears has MERGE at the top. do i select this and carry on from there.

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It should pop up a box with "Registry Editor" in the blue title bar.

BTW, sorry but I've got to run, but someone else can help you from here.

9. factor

factor Thread Starter

Bryan, it worked. i clicked 'open with' and registry editor appeared. the list is now empty. thanks a lot for the help..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice