1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Media Player 9.0 goes black on XP

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by SpeedRacer5, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpeedRacer5

SpeedRacer5 Thread Starter

My Media Player worked great all of the time. I have to view video files (mostly .wmv) all of the time, and they have always worked flawlessly. Now, less than half way thru the video, the screen goes blank but the audio continues. If I switch the video to 200%, it will sometimes reappear and play full.

2. SpeedRacer5

So this never happened to anyone else?

3. SpeedRacer5

Well, I reinstalled Media Player. Tried to run a video again and it does the same thing. Anyone have anything like this happen?

4. somak_de

somak_de

ya i had that problem and solved. dont know whether this will work in your case or not, try these:
    1: from tools>optiones>performance, off the hardware acceleration and uncheck overlay button
    2: sometimes intel graphics card's old driver create problem so upgrade your graphics card driver
    3:download ffdshow and try it. i dont have the link now so give it a google search

4: if all of this fails try to uninstall wmp9 by following way and go back to wmp8. remember that i never tried this myself!
    -----------------
    let me know if that helps!
    You can remove Windows media 9 by doing the following in XP or ME

Go to Start Run Type in

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

Then click Ok

Now go back to Start | Run
    To re-install WMP8
    Copy or type

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection InstallWMP64 132 c:\windows\inf\mplayer2.inf
    (Point it to the Windows XP CD)
    rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection InstallWMP7 132 c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf
    (Point it to the Windows XP CD)
    -----------------------------
    see if these helps

5. SpeedRacer5

1) I see no "hardware acceleration" option. I looked around and saw nothing pertaining to overlay

2)How can I locate the driver for it? How do I update it when I find it?

Thanks for the help!

6. somak_de

somak_de

hardware acceleration option is under tools>optiones>performance>advanced in the media player 9
    visit the website of your graphics card manufacturer and see their download section

7. SpeedRacer5

Thanks a bunch Somak. Both options worked. Once I got the updated graphics driver, all was well with overlay on.

By the way, what does the overlay option do?

8. somak_de

somak_de

hi
    i got this info on the following link:
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/V/video_overlay.html
    ----------------
    it says:
    The placement of a full-motion video window on the display screen. There are various techniques used to display video on a computer's screen, depending on whether the video source has been digitized or is still in analog NTSC format.
    Since computer monitors are generally analog, NTSC video can be merged with signals coming from the video adapter. Increasingly, faster computer buses (PCI, VL-bus, etc.) and faster video busses (Advanced Feature Connector, VM Channel, etc.), allow for analog video to be digitized and stored with other binary data for output. Then the video adapter turns it into analog scan lines for the monitor.
    ----------------------

a bit technical ,no?

9. blueflame205

blueflame205

Thanks so much you solved my problem

the first option worked perfectly

go to tools>options>performance tab>advanced, uncheck "use overlay" option (y)

Thank you

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice