[SOLVED] Media Player in XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pileyrei

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
594
Hi all

I have a minor problem using media player 9 under Windows XP.

It seems that almost every movie I play does not work! It trries to download a codec and then fails. I end up using divx player to view all my movies.

Has anyone had this problem too?

Pileyrei
 
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
2,326
What happens when it" fails"?Do you get an error message,and if so can you copy and paste it here?
 

pileyrei

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
594
rude said:
What happens when it" fails"?Do you get an error message,and if so can you copy and paste it here?
I do a get a message...I'll paste it in later when I get home.

Thanks for your reply rude.

Pileyrei
 

pileyrei

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
594
Just checked...no specific error message..it just says error downloading codec. The movie plays but there is only sound and no picture.

Where can one download codecs from?

P
 

Couriant

James
Moderator
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Messages
39,372
pileyrei, (your name looks familar... hmm ;))

Most video files (.MPG and .AVI) need the DIVX codec or the XVID codec. If you can see it on the DVIX player you should be able to play it in WMP.

There is also a codec pack available from [http://www.free-codecs.com/]Free Codecs.com[/url] It's called the K-Lite Codec Pack. It will have all the latest codecs that you need.
 

pileyrei

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
594
Nutter_9591 said:
Open tools/option/files types in Media Player. Check all file types and see if that works.
thanks Nutter.....I'll give it a go!

P
 

pileyrei

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
594
Tidus4Yuna said:
pileyrei, (your name looks familar... hmm ;))

Most video files (.MPG and .AVI) need the DIVX codec or the XVID codec. If you can see it on the DVIX player you should be able to play it in WMP.

There is also a codec pack available from [http://www.free-codecs.com/]Free Codecs.com[/url] It's called the K-Lite Codec Pack. It will have all the latest codecs that you need.
Hi Tidus

Yes, I use this nic on a few forums.....lazy I am! So where do you "know" me from eh? :)

Thanks for your reply too.......I'll give your ideas a go.

Pileyrei
 

Couriant

James
Moderator
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Messages
39,372
I think I helped you on another issue... I have a cold right now so I can't think straight.

As for the link, I'm not sure why it did that. (actually I see why now... :rolleyes: Spelling error.)

The link is: www.free-codecs.com

I believe that the K-Lite pack contains the latest DIVX and XVID codecs.
 

pileyrei

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
594
Tidus4Yuna said:
I think I helped you on another issue... I have a cold right now so I can't think straight.

As for the link, I'm not sure why it did that. (actually I see why now... :rolleyes: Spelling error.)

The link is: www.free-codecs.com

I believe that the K-Lite pack contains the latest DIVX and XVID codecs.

Thanks very much......................I'll see if that works.....

Get better! (y)
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top