1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Media Sharing with PS3

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jscuzza, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jscuzza

Jscuzza Thread Starter

I posted this a while back, but didn't really get an explaination, theories, or solutions.

I have a basic Home Network. 4 computers on the network. Mix of wireless and wired computers. I can send files between the PCs just fine.

For some reason the Playstation 3 does not show up under the network. I can seem to manage to get media sharing working ONLY if I have the PS3 hard wired to the modem, but not wireless, if the PC is wired. If the PC is wireless and the PS3 is wireless it works, but not wired.

For some reason I cannot get cross connection, for lack of a better work, media server working. Any insight? I have a crappy netgear Wireless Comcast router if that helps.

Edit: Apparently wireless to wired doesn't work regardless of PC or PS3.

Joe

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There shouldn't be any difference between wired and wireless connections, networking doesn't make a distinction.

3. Jscuzza

Jscuzza Thread Starter

Hey John,

I do know that, but it has been like this ever since I have had this Comcast Netgear modem/router. I did notice that I managed to get wired to wireless working from my PC to the other PC on the other side of the house.

I then activated the media sharing on the wireless PC and the PS3 IMMEDIATELY picked it up. Does this seems more of a router issue or a PS3 issue? I don't know what else to try!

4. JohnWill

If wired works and wireless doesn't, I'd be looking at the common point, the router.

5. Jscuzza

Jscuzza Thread Starter

I went and bought a Linksys CM100 cable modem and registered that with Comcast. I hooked up my Linksys Wireless-G Router and it immediately worked. I always had a feeling that Comcast Netgear they supply was worthless, but not I know for sure. I haven't had a single problem since switching everything out.

6. JohnWill

Thanks for the feedback. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice