1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory Card Behavior

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moreproblems, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moreproblems

moreproblems Thread Starter

Hi there

I thought it a good idea to increase my RAM. I bought a 1 Gb 400 mhz card. I Took out the two 256 mB cards and inserted the 1 Gb card. The computer recognised it and said 1 Gb when I called up System Properties. So far so good.

I powered down, and inserted one of the 256 mB cards. Why not go for 1.25 Gb I thought to myself. After booting up, the computer was noticibly slower. I Changed the 256 card for the other 256 - same result.

I am aware that the cards must be the same speed - and they are. They are all 400 Mhz (the best my motherboard can handle!)

I use a Pentium 4 2.4 gig and Windows XP home with SP2.

Can anyone explain this anomoly to me please?

"Moreproblems"

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

It's more complex than simply having modules of the same speed, you need to add factors such as manufacturer, chip type, density et al. The most common issues with compatibility issues is differing manufacturers and chips, this is probably the issue you are experiencing.

3. idowindows

idowindows

And with that, I'd just leave the 1GB stick in with nothing else and call it a day.

eBay anyone?

4. moreproblems

moreproblems Thread Starter

Thanks MaverickUK,I didn't know that - any of that for that matter. One live s & learns, so once again - thanks. "Moreproblems"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice