1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deemac12, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deemac12

deemac12 Thread Starter

I'm building a desktop PC from a box of bits , collected over the years of playing trivial pursuit with Bill Gates, but have forgotten most of the rules!
    I have an old Gigabyte m/b GA P41T-D3p which specifies DDR3 at1333 Mz. However, all I have in the Memory bin is a pair of Corsair Vengance 4Gb DIMM cards at 2333Mz.
    I know its overkill, but will it work without frying something.
    I have a450W power supply but I think I need to up that t0 600+

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes of course it won't fry anything, it's just the speed of the RAM. 2333Mhz is highly overclocked RAM, if the board only supports 1333Mhz then the memory should just download to that speed. The worse that could happen is that it doesn't work but it won't do any damage as long as it's the right type (DDR3) and installed correctly in the slot(not backward).

For reference, the motherboard specs: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3727#sp

A 450 watt power supply is fine if it's a quality unit unless you have a mid to high range graphics card you wish to install in the sytem in which case you will need to check the requirements of the card.

3. deemac12

deemac12 Thread Starter

Thanks for that.
    I notice that you have over 40,000 cases that you have tackled in 12 years
    Well Done and thanks for your generosity.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No problem (y)

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Rob already linked you to the support site for the Gigabyte GA-P41T-D3P motherboard.

It comes in 4 revisions(1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6), but they all appear to have the same specifications.

It has 2 memory slots and supports up to 8 GB(4 GB X 2) of RAM.

It supports DDR3-800 MHz and DDR3-1066 MHz and DDR3-1333 MHz(overclocked), 1.5 volts, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.

Let us know if those 4 GB DDR3-2333 MHz modules work.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1136706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice