1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Memory conflict

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sisBbad, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Hi! I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct location. If I did please let me know.

I received the following information after runnning a report on my memory. Bios reports: 512MB Windows reports: 63MB available. It stated:" Although the BIOS reports that this system has 512MB of memory installed. Windows reports that only 63MB is available. The most common reason for this discrepancy is that your system uses some system RAM for the video graphics card. However, the discrepancy on this system is rather high. This may be due to the BIOS reporting an incorrect amount of installed memory." My question is how can I verify what I should actually have? Any suggestions on what I need/should do? I really appreaciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks! Sis

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Has the machine always had this much ram or did you add some?

In the bios setup, how much do you have allocated to the video?

Also, when the memory is counting up on a restart, does it count up to 512?

3. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for helping. Regarding have I added any RAM or always has that much. No I haven't added any. I've owned it since June 2001. Regarding other 2 questions, I will go and research that information and reply again, soon.

Thanks,
    Sis

4. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Ok, well I went into my BIOS/Setup and I couldn't find anywhere in there where it listed "video" to check how much is allocated. Maybe it was listed as something I didn't recognize? What should I look for? Besides "video".

When my system starts up it doesn't count memory or anything to be seen. It just goes straight to my WindowsMe logo, then to my desktop. Is there another way for me to check this.

Sorry wasn't much help, but I tried but just couldn't find what we were needing. But I'll try something/anything else that is suggested.

Thank you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do or look for.

Thanks,

Sis

5. ~Candy~

Look for graphics, video, display.....anything similar.

When the computer is restarting, press the escape key so you can see behind the splash screen......there should be a rather large number verifiying the memory.

Also, while you are in your bios setup, take a look for a setting that turns off the memory count......maybe that's the problem....not all computers do a memory count though.....

6. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Ok, I went back into BIOS Setup and the only thing I could find was: Display Cache Window Size 64MB. I also tried to hit the escape key at startup, but all it did was take away my splash screen and there was nothing behind it. I looked for a setting that would turn off memory count, but no luck there either. I hope this what I found, was what we were looking for. If not, then back to the drawing board.

To return soon....... Thanks
    Sis

7. ~Candy~

Does the computer then start normally after the error message?

Is there any place in your bios setup that tells you the amount of memory or where it's located, say like DIMM 1, something similar?

Also, what happens, if you go into your bios setup, then come out and select save changes (even though you haven't made any changes).....and allow it to reboot....same error message?

8. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

I didn't and haven't received that error when starting up. I ran a test on my computer through PCPitstop and that is where I received that error. I've even ran it 3x's and still get the same thing. But my computer starts up fine. Just seems to be a little slow here lately

Sis

9. ~Candy~

Alrighty, then, let's have a look here.......I guess I've been misunderstanding....... :(

Right click on 'my computer' then go to properties....what shows there for your ram?

10. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear in my first post that when I ran a test it was online at PCPitstop.

Ok went there and it is showing 63.0MB Ram. Iwonder why I would get that error message when I ran that test? hummm.....

Sis

11. ~Candy~

If it's showing 63 there, something is really, really wrong.....

I think you are going to have to pop the case open and try reseating it......

12. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Well, that's certainly not what I wanted to hear. (jk) Ok, I've had my share of taking apart and putting back together computers. But just to be on the safe side, can you explain what I have to do, so that I get it right the first time. I would really appreciate it.
    Question for ya, seeing how that threw up red flags to ya, can you explain to me so I understand it better. For instance what about should my RAM be showing there. Just around about amount. This way if I ever run across this problem somewhere else, hopefully it will throw up red flags to me too.

Thank you, I'll be waiting to hear back from you when you get the chance.

Sis

13. brianF

brianF

Unless your absoloutely sure you have 512meg of ram installed I would take a look.

I am wondering if your have 64 meg which would have been pretty standard and pcpitstop for some reason is getting the wrong info

I would suggest downloading docmemory tester, create the floppy disk and run it. It will give you info on the install memory,etc

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

During Boot up, DocMemory is able to determine memory capacity with its Auto-Identification feature, displaying easy to read memory related information

14. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Well actually, I'm not sure. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't gone to PCPitstop and ran the tests. But like you said they very well could have made a mistake.

Ok, I will go to that site and do what you said. After I'm done I'll come back and post what I was able to find out.

Thank you very much!
    Sis

15. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Ok, I am in the process of running the test. But have a question for you. Do you know how many Loop passes it goes through. It is on loop #25 right now. Do you know if it will eventually stop or do I have to stop it? Also it has a System Info box and it shows my CPU name
    DRAM Size: 63MB
    L2 Cache: 128KB
    Does this seem, normal, correct?? I let it keep on Looping until hopefully I hear something from someone. I need to run out for about 30 minutes then I'll be back and see what we have.

Thank you
    Sis

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice