1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory difference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mslynn, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mslynn

mslynn Thread Starter

Can someone tell me the difference b/w PC2100r and PC2100u?

2. Chris A

Chris A

The "u" stands for unbuffered. The other version will be buffered or registered.

Buffering helps with systems that have large amounts of memory like on a server. Both should work well on most home systems though I have heard that some AMD CPU's require Buffered ram. not sure on that though.

3. mslynn

mslynn Thread Starter

So, if I'm updating memory the "r" & "u" shouldn't make any difference? The machine is a Presario S4000NX with a Celeron 2.4 GHz. I can put 2 "u" modules in and they read just fine, but if I put the r's in, I get the 3 beeps. (Which I think means it doesn't recognze the first 64k, right?) And I've tried combination of the two and that doesn't work either.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/495281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice