Solved: Memory Issue in new build relating to 'reserved for hardware'

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Swainy

Hi All

I have just finished a new build on a pc with the following specs:

M/B: ASUS P5N-D

Processor: Intel Quadcore Q6600

GPU: Nvidia 9600GT

RAM: 8GB DDR2

S/C:Creative Labs expansion card

The issue I'm having is that, even though both the BIOS and windows recognize that there is 8GB of RAM installed only 3.25 is 'useable'. looking around I've found that just under 5GB is 'reserved for hardware'. I can accept a GB or so being used but 5 is a little over the top.

So far I have:
  • checked BIOS for 'memory remap' option, which is unavailable.
  • updated the BIOS.
  • As it recognises the full 8GB I can safely say the RAM isn't faulty.
Anyone have any suggestions.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Only about 3.25 GB RAM is usable on a computer with a 32-bit OS. The solution to your problem is a 64-bit OS.

Swainy

Only about 3.25 GB RAM is usable on a computer with a 32-bit OS. The solution to your problem is a 64-bit OS.
Thanks Frank4d that was it, wish I'd remembered there was a 64-bit disk in the case before I drove to town to return it though, very embarressing >_<

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online