1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guyzer, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    I just picked up a couple of 2 GB sticks of Kingston memory and all I get is beeps after it's installed and the computer won't boot up so I'm wondering if one of you hardware wizards would tell me if it should or shouldn't work.

My specs are listed above but just for good measure this is what's on the original memory...
    1 GB PC2-4200U-444-12

This is what Kingston says I just bought...
    DDR2 240 pin Compatible 667 MHz ( PC5400 )
    Compatible 533 MHz ( PC4300 )

If it isn't correct I can take it back but I still want to bump it up so what should I be looking for?

Thanks for your help.......

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What memory speeds does the board support?

Did you try just the paired new sticks with the old one removed?

3. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    I haven't got a clue because ( damn I hate to admit this ) it's an Acer.

Yup. I pulled the old ones out and stuck the new ones in.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    Re: Crucial.com nice helpful site. Thanks.

Crucial tells me my existing memory is unbuffered. I have spent quite a bit of time there and at Kingstons site and found info that is helpful, at least about what memory I can use. The problem that I have right now is I can't ID the new memories exact model # . There's a whack of numbers on it but nothing to pin it down. Because of that I can't tell if it is compatible, unbuffered etc.. The closest I can get on Kingstons #'s is... 667/2G but when I bring that up it gives me a few sub model #'s and I can't nail it down.

Here's a couple of snaps I got this AM... They show what I have and what Crucial recommends for my crappy box.

Attached Files:

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you plan to use the old memory, too? If so, you should get new memory with the same speed.

7. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
  8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you check your BIOS setup for memory timing settings? See what is available there. Sometimes, settings are controlled by board jumpers, but lately they are usually BIOS-controlled.

Look for settings and data related to Multiplier, CPU speed, Bus speed, and memory speed.

I agree that the memory at that site looks compatible. But I thought (from something--the Kingston memory search does not mention 2 GB sticks) that the maximum stick size for that board was 1 GB. Is that not correct? If so, you should have 2x1GB and not 1X2GB. There may also be a BIOS update for that board.

9. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    I'm sure Kingstons site said I could use 2 gig sticks provided I put two in which is what I did.

As for a bios upgrade this is a stinkin' Acer and I had enough trouble finding / getting drivers for the mobo when I blew out Vista and put in XP. I'm about ready to hurl this mobo in the trash can and get me something I can work with. Everything I do turns out to be a major brain pain. It's the first time I bought a pre built and it will be the last. The main problem is Acer is very proprietary with their mobo and they sure don't want anyone to fiddle with it. Help from them is nonexistent. I wish I would have kept some of the e-mail that went back and forth between us. Their answers were priceless.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

I feel your pain. I had an Acer many years ago, before they got so inward-directed, and it was my favorite machine. But since then, it seems all manufacturers have started to treat customers like idiots (rightfully so in some cases), try to save money and support time by making restore partitions that so limit the options that though nothing can really be "recovered", at least the support people can give simple answers. Proprietary hardware means you are married to them like to a heroine dealer. If you buy a bare-bones, a couple parts, and an OS, you will have a happier life.

I'm still not convinced about the memory sizes, but depending on how many slots you have, if putting 1 GB in each gave you enough memory to satisfy you, I think that has better chances than using the larger sticks. And I guess I remember that Acer doesn't give you much of a BIOS, either, so the usual options are probably inaccessible.

11. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    The reason I went with the 2 gig sticks was due to the price and I liked the idea of 4 matched gig's. I'm thinking I will be forced to go the 4 stick route but am debating that now cuz I would have to get 4 of 'em. The two I have Acer branded all over them so how you going to match that directly. My second option, and I'm close to deciding, is to get a new mobo and memory. That way I can easily reinstall XP every six months or so. It's a lot less painless than trying to restore all of my backed up drivers. That experience is one that I would rather avoid again.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Reinstall every 6 months? Why in the world would you do that?

If you really just want a clean system periodically to start with, just make an image of your drive when it is all set up, clean, and working well, and then restore that. It saves re-installing all those programs. And you could make them periodically so that you had more choices for restorations.

Acronis True Image is the best and allows scheduled, periodic imaging without user intervention.

But even the free Macrium Reflect allows full, manual backups that can be easily restored to the same drive or a new one.

13. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    It's a bad habit I got into many years ago.

I was always to darn cheap to but the software to do it your way. I'll take a look at your link and maybe change my way of doing things.

I haven't done that since I got this machine but always had a habit of doing it before. I keep quite a clean system as it is but over time there is always stuff that I forget about ans eventually things start to slow down a bit. I hate it when that happens. It was just a way of housekeeping so to speak. Open the doors and blow the dust out.........

I appreciate you taking the time with me on this issue. I just wish we would have come up with a way to use the mem I bought. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Acer manual must tell what memory is supported. What is that exacxt model number (not that I will be able to find anything "Acer", but I'll try)?

15. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    Acer Aspire E380 and I never got a manual.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice