1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory on 2nd DIMM slot is always hardware reserved on new motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ezio04, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ezio04

ezio04 Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my processor & motherboard from...

AMD Phenom II X2 550
    Asus M4N68T-M

Now it's AMD FX-4300 & Asus M5A78L-M LX3. I ran two modules of RAM (4GB + 2GB) on that previous motherboard. These are my modules...

1. Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 Vengeance 4GB Single Module DDR3 Memory
    2. Kingston Value RAM 2GB (don't know the exact model but it was a 1333Mhz module)

Both modules have the same latency. I just had to downclock the corsair module to 1333Mhz & then they both ran in dual channel mode.
    Now on this new motherboard, when I check sys info in BIOS, it shows just 4GB RAM (or 2GB; basically it just detects what's in the first slot). When I boot into Windows, it says that 2GB (or 4GB; the other slot) is always hardware reserved.
    Also task manager shows wrong RAM speed. Instead of 1333Mhz, it shows 1600Mhz. And when I really run it at 1600Mhz or even below 1333Mhz, it's always wrong in task manager.
    There's another interesting thing happening when I try to change the memory speed in BIOS. When I change it & as soon as I hit enter (after F10), system just powers down for a few seconds & boots right up. This is just my second motherboard & idk if it's normal but it sure doesn't feel right :eek:

I'm posting this after going through a lot of posts on similar topics & the solutions are not working for me. I even checked for bent pins on my CPU but it looks good. As it looks, either the RAM modules are incompatible on this motherboard (but then why is the speed in task manager always wrong) or something is wrong with the motherboard. This is what I think but I need your help to make it work. I'm mentally exhausted now :(

2. Sponsor

3. ezio04

ezio04 Thread Starter

I removed the motherboard & found that a spacer was in contact with the pins on the 2nd RAM slot. Some where bent & I had to straighten them. Put back everything & started the system. It started & detected all my RAM (voila!) but I did hear a spark & noticed that my chassis fan wasn't on. That spark killed my chassis fan pin on the board. I connected the fan directly to the PSU but should I be worried about something else going off again?
    This is a new motherboard & I feel I'm responsible for what happened leaving that spacer in the wrong spot. I just don't want to burn down my house :p

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I doubt it is going to burn down your house.
    It is certainly possible that some other part of the board was damaged. Really the only way you are going to find out is to stress test the system. I would use either prime95 or IBT; both free downloads. Let either one of them run for at least 1hr. If you do not get any errors, then you are probably ok. In addition, a pw surge can affect other components; ie onboard lan, onboard sound, etc. So you want to make sure all of those work as well.

One other thing. Both prime95 and IBT generate a LOT of heat so monitor your temps while running either of these programs. Since you have an asus mb, download and install asus probe to monitor the temps. Probe is available on the support page for your mb; here is a link to the support page.
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX3/overview/

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW here is how you properly install a new mb in a case.

1 Remove the IO plate that came with your case
    2 Place the mb in the case. Now mark where you need to install standoffs. Use a sharpie or pencil to mark the case. Do not install standoffs into any other mounting holes other than the ones you marked.
    3 Remove the board and install the standoffs
    4 Install the IO plate that came with your mb
    5 Place the mb on the standoffs and slide it into the IO plate. Secure with the screws that came with your case.

Done.

6. ezio04

ezio04 Thread Starter

Thank you for your time :)
    I'll run Prime95 for an hour tonight as said & post the outcome after.
    I do have a question though. I'm curious about that spark. I did some googling after the incident & read about static. I did handle the motherboard on my mattress which is nylon I think. Could static be the reason for that spark?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it is possible. When you build up a mb, it is done on a non-conductive surface ie wood, plastic, or the mb box. I use the box the board came in since it works very well.

8. ezio04

ezio04 Thread Starter

I ran Prime95, did some gaming, editing & renders. System looks stable enough. Thanks for the assist, crjdriver. I'll mark the thread as solved :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153100