1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory Q.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KibaFrost, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KibaFrost

KibaFrost Thread Starter

Recently I received 2 8GB sticks -Link- , I had 4 2GB sticks and took two out to install them, (I also installed a new graphics card along with them but found out it was not the problem)

When I turned on my computer nothing happened with the motherboard (I believe, reason being the keyboard mouse and speckrs didn't work. Monitors didn't work either. no beeps ).

I found when I took out the newly installed memory that the sys was able to turn on, same thing when i took all of the other memory sticks out and just used the new ones it was able to function normally.

What I want to know is if this is a capability issue between the new and old sticks, or if this is a power issue of some kind. it might not do anything but sense i have them I would like 20GB memory instead of just 16GB although i'm fine with that because it beats the 8 I had before.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's a compatibility issue not a power issue, unless you mean a voltage issue between the old and new RAM which would be a compatibility issue too. Mixing RAM always has the potential to cause issues.

You haven't told use what motherboard or system you have or the model number of the old RAM, that's useful information for troubleshooting.

Do you need more than 16GB of RAM?

3. KibaFrost

KibaFrost Thread Starter

The old ramy was from hyundai electronics

motherboard is Alienware Model 046MHW A00

and while I'm sure it wont impact much into my system I dont really wanna give up they old ram if i can still use it.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    From what I can determine, the Alienware 046MHW motherboard has 4 memory slots and supports a maximum of 16 GB(4 GB X 4) of DDR3 RAM.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is it the Aurora R3 that you have? If so it only supports 16GB of RAM according to Dell.

The other difference I see is that the old RAM is 1333Mhz and the new RAM is 1600Mhz.

You'll likely be better off with 16GB of RAM running at 1600Mhz than 32GB running at 1333Mhz.

6. KibaFrost

KibaFrost Thread Starter

Ok Great so the problem is a memory cap. Thank You for your quick and informative replies.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that Alienware?

What one of these models do you have?

Attached Files:

8. KibaFrost

KibaFrost Thread Starter

Alienware Aurora R3, why?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the memory(RAM) information from its on-line manual.

It uses 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB modules.

Attached Files:

10. KibaFrost

KibaFrost Thread Starter

Interesting, I have two 8 GBs in right now, so i'm either wrong or i cheated the system! either way the 16 cap is what got me. thank you for the useful information

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice