1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory Stick Install Problem!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sueb_51, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sueb_51

sueb_51 Thread Starter

Hi all!! i hope this doesn't get post twice, so i apologize in advance if it does. Anyways my hubby went out and bought a new memory stick of 128ram. he only had 64 on his and my daughter installed in on his computer. When they turned the computer on they got the no signal message. and as soon as they removed it all was well. i am not at the residence where they are right now with the computer but i got my daughter to send me a system info on his computer. he got no info with the new memory stick so i'm not really sure what is wrong. any suggestioOS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    Activation Status Activation Pending (25 days remaining)
    System Name HOME-WJ582UM5ZE
    System Manufacturer IBM
    System Model 688948U
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~449 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date IBM NUKT36AUS, 23/04/1999
    SMBIOS Version 2.1
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWSC
    System Directory C:\WINDOWSC\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale Canada
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
    User Name HOME-WJ582UM5ZE\Owner
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 64.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 10.84 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 213.07 MB
    Available Virtual Memory 62.07 MB
    Page File Space 149.53 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    ns would be appreciated. thanx. here's the system info::

2. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon sueb_51, that problem sounds like you may have some odd problem with the new RAM.
    It seems the system you have also has integrated video so I would expect it runs like a "hairy dog"!

There is a small free program available from here that may be useful to check your current RAM type.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/about_siw.html

Once you definitely determine what you have you can progress from there.
    The new RAM you have may be satisfactory or have some odd problem, it may also need to be placed in the first position or have some compatibility problem with your current RAM.

But initially intelligence collection might be an idea.

Do not operate on the machine unless the mains power plug is removed and observe commonsense anti-static rules, especially handling RAM sticks.

Also obtain a memory testing program like memtest86 and make a bootable floppy or CD to test anything you may fit to the machine as soon as you fit it.

Others will have different ideas.

qldit.

3. sueb_51

sueb_51 Thread Starter

lol a hairy dog??? funny. anyways its not morning here so i will get the info all together tomorrow and get back to u. thanks a million

4. qldit

qldit

Yes I always wonder how you people manage to walk around upside down without falling off! (LOL)
    qldit.

5. sueb_51

sueb_51 Thread Starter

Its called good balance lol!! anyways. My hubby took back the memory stick where He bought it from and apprarently it was the wrong one, so he got another one lol. Ok when he tries to install it anywhere the screen comes up that says configure memory. We have no idea how to do this, and the computer is not where i am right now lol which doesn't help, but it you got any suggestions they would be appreciated.

6. norton850

norton850

Usually you don't have to do anything except put the memory in. Do you get the message as soon as you turn the computer on?

7. norton850

norton850

Sorry, I should have also asked, what is the exact wording of the message?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Read message carefully. It might just be to go into the bios and accept update of ram.

9. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon Everyone, actually it is a warm sunny cloudless still day here temp 29C.
    Really hard to take!! My swimming pool needs cleaning worse luck!!

Often you may get some odd message when you fit new or more RAM, very often simply entering the BIOS (usually by tapping the delete key during the preliminary boot sequence)
    and looking at what the memory is showing then using the "Save and Exit" method to leave the BIOS area automatically registers the new memory addition and you are on your way.
    So no other physical procedure might be required.
    If you are the wrong religion things may not be that simple. (LOL)
    See what happens with more info.
    qldit.

10. sueb_51

sueb_51 Thread Starter

I guess i won't find out until tomorrow when i'm there but the way he described the screen was a bunch of lines. sounds like when the mouse or keyboard aren't plugged in.but i'll give it a shot tomorrow. and get back to . thanx

11. sueb_51

sueb_51 Thread Starter

Hi there!!! just wanted to let you know that i mananged to get the memory card up and running. thanx sooooo much. i have other issues now but now quite where to post them but i'll do my best. thanx again

12. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon sueb_51, well done!!
    Keep at it, you will win.
    Cheers, qldit.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!