1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BornCynic, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

Win XP SP3

I have a USB memory stick which is used for daily incremental backups of data. I can read and write to it with no [apparent] problems, but when seeking to withdraw the stick I'm advised that 'the generic device cannot be stopped now: try again later'. Device Manager shows no problems with the device. I now withdraw the stick on computer close down with no apparent subsequent problem. Also, I'm not allowed to reformat the stick. Any advice gratefully received.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the backup program proberly has some files open or access the device

usb sticks are not the best way to keep backups and not reliable - i see so many removed from a PC with out stopping and they stop working

my advice would be if you cannot stop the device - then you would need to close the PC down and then when off remove

USB sticks are OK for transferring data or carrying data around with you - but not as a backup. Anyone who only has the data on a USB stick and nowhere else is really going to run into trouble sometime down the line - when it stops working

3. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

The memory stick only holds my overnight backups - every weekend the next level is a weekly CD of data backup from its predecessor. Every month, a disk mirror copy with Acronis to an external drive. Can you tell that I learned the hard way?

I agree that the stick has a file or two that was not closed - but how to force closure? That was why I sought to format it.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you said
    not allowed for external reason
    OR
    the PC wont format ?

5. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

When attempting to format I receive the same message 'the generic device cannot be stopped now: try again later'. As stated, I can use the stick but curiosity demands that this irritation be solved - I might learn something. The same results apply on my other computers, by the way. The question really is, how can I force file closure?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry, i dont know

just had a thought - have you tried safemode?

7. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

Will try Safemode. Thank you for taking an interest etaf. Appreciated.

8. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

Safe mode allowed a reformat of the stick but (sigh) this did not solve the initial problem Oh well.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no, when you backup to the file - i suspect something is open on the stick - what program are you using - just windows explorer to copy the file across
    ?
    or some other program

I have sometimes found with windows explorer or any program that is used with the stick - that I need to open something else - like if a photo program is saving to the stick - after i have saved - I close the photo program down then open it and open a file from the PC

10. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

I thought something may still be open which was why I tried the reformat. My daily backups to the stick is with Karen's Replicator - which I've been using successfully for many years now.

Occasionally when working on a long document (I do contract work for family genealogies) I backup my work with Explorer, with the same reaction. What I find puzzling is that I can boot from cold, insert the stick, read the contents and then on attempting to remove the stick, I receive the message. If I repeat this procedure and do not read the disc contents then the withdrawal is allowed.

Clearly the problem lies with Explorer and the stick - but reformat should have resolved this?

11. raybro

raybro

This may be to simplistic, but I'll offer it anyway.

I've had this occur when I've had explorer open and tried to do the "Safe Remove Hardware" process. The simple fact Windows Explorer was open (whch listed the device in the left pane) prevented ejecting the USB device.

You might also look in Task Manager for any running process which may be related to the USB stick.

12. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

Hi all, decided that although it was a low risk it was one not worth running. Exchanged memory stick and no problems at all as yet. The stick must be the culprit - but how or why I have no idea. Marking this is 'solved' but it wasn't really. sigh.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks for the update - but that was my point earlier - these sticks can fail quite easily

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice