1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory sticks show Picasa but which isn't there

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starnelka, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    Suddenly when I plug in either of my two memory sticks picasa pops up and asks me to import images. Picasa isn't on either stick so why does that appear? The only way I can access files on the sticks is by going into Computer/Drive G. Why doesn't the usual Windows dialogue options box come up any more?

I haven't done anything that might change the settings as far as I know. Can anyone help please?
    either

either​

2. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble

This is a software issue. :)

3. moper

moper

With the drive plugged in, go to Windows Explorer, right click the drive, click Properties, and choose the 'Autoplay' tab. Select: "Prompt me each time to choose an action"
    This is for XP. Vista is similar. I believe you uncheck, "Always do this for pictures"

moper

Attached Files:

4. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    OK I right clicked on Properties in WinExplorer but there was no option that says Autoplay or Always do this....
    All I got was a box with the headings General, Shortcut, Compatibility,Security, Details. In noe of those could I find what you suggested.

I'm using Vista HP2 and my browser is FF.

So where else can I go to follow your instructions?

5. moper

moper

Go to Start, Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Autoplay. Is Autoplay turned on?
    Select the one for 'Pictures'. What is selected?
    And under Devices. Your removable drive.

moper

6. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I tried each of the two sticks on another laptop and they both work fine so it's something on this machine that needs to be adjusted. In Control Panel I either have Add Hardware, or Sound. I don't have Hardware & Sound. in either case there seems to be no Autoplay.

I tried each of the two sticks on another laptop and they both work fine so it's something on this machine that needs to be adjusted.

I tried each of the two sticks on another laptop and they both work fine so it's something on this machine that needs to be adjusted.​

7. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I did a Search for Autoplay and, to my surprise, Vista actually came up with it. Normally a search with Vista comes up with zilch.

Anyway, when I looked through the list for Pictures I found that it showed something like Import pictures using Picasa. I changed it to View using Windows (or words to that effect). How the problem happened I have no idea but whenever these glitches appear I always suspect Windows Updates.

I then inserted the memory stick and it works fine. Thank you for putting me on the right track.
    something

something​

8. moper

moper

Glad that you got it working.
    That 'Hardware and Sound' depends on what view you are using.

moper

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice