1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: memory upgrade in Dell Inspiron 531

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmbmedic, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmbmedic

cmbmedic Thread Starter

I have replaced memory in other computers in the past but this new INspiron seems to have an additional step in the process: temp. removal of PCI cards before new mem. install. What"s up with that?
    The instuctions are straightfoward enough but is the procedure necessay? Also, the sticks must be installed in a certain order?
    Thanks, Doc...:eek:

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Are the PCI cards in the way? If not then I wouldn't remove them.

As for the order of the slots, if the instructions specify which slots to use then I'd follow that. One reason being is to possibly take advantage of Dual Channel mode if you are using matched or similar sticks of memory to give you a theoretical doubling of the memory bandwidth.

4. cmbmedic

cmbmedic Thread Starter

Thank you for your response.
    Haven't opened the case yet, but I'll be sure to check clearance.
    I belive there are two 512MB sticks in there now but, you think adding a single 1MB would be ok?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

6. cmbmedic

cmbmedic Thread Starter

Great website thanks!
    What part of Canada re you in? All my people are from the Montreal area. I was born in US but didn't speak English till I was about 10.
    Thanks again
    Doc

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Eastern Ontario, Peterborough area.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680999