1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Burns, Dec 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Burns

John Burns Thread Starter

I have a Gateway Select 1200 computer with 128MB installed. I would like to upgrade it to 512MB - by adding a 128MB module and a 256MB module. I asked Gateway and they advised me I have 2 DIMM slots supporting 4 banks memory.

When I ran Belarc Advisor profile, it shows 128MB in Slot DIMM 1, with Slot DIMM2 and Slot DIMM3 as empty. (Three slots) I am not sure what I have. I have ordered one 256MB DIMM module and one 128 DIMM module from Crucial, but now am wondering if I can install both of them.

I am not sure what the terminology "2 DIMM slots supporting 4 banks of memory" really means. Would I have to install two 256MB Dimm modules to accomplish the 512MB total, or can I use the existing 128MB and add 128MB and 256MB to accomplish this.

Would I be just about as well off to install just the 256MB module and have a total of 384MB? (Providing I don't have two slots available)

Very confused. Anyone shed some light on this for me? I am in the dark!

2. brianF

brianF

Well crucial agrees with belarc, seems gateway may be wrong.\

System Info:
    Maximum memory: 768MB
    Standard memory: 128MB removable
    Slots: 3 (3 banks of 1)
    Explanation of memory terms

This is for a select 1200 per crucial

3 slots, you should be able to install all three dimms

3. John Burns

Thanks, Brian - that is the answer I WANTED to hear. I guess there is no problem installing one 128MB and one 256mb with my existing 128MB module? I can MIX them that way, right? Appreciate your input. Thanks!

4. John Burns

Well, I guess the only way to determine for sure is to open up the computer and look - I did just that, and guess what? Gateway was right - only two slots - so I just bought 512MB module and plugged it in - and it is working fine. Guess I should have done that in the first place, lol. Thanks for your input tho - appreciate this site.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/109348