1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldguy001, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldguy001

oldguy001 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Studio 1555 running Windows 7 64bit. I am trying to upgrade the RAM memory from 4GB to 8GB (an upgrade that can be done on this model). The machine has two memory slots and two CPU (cores). When I boot up the computer recognizes that I have changed the memory, however it reports only 4GB (2GB for each CPU) rather than the expected 8GB (4GB for each CPU). In other words, no upgrade. The memory modules are correct - Two modules - 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 - 800 MHz 200-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop Dell Studio 1555.

I have checked to see that the BIOS was current and chipset driver current and installed. I have also run a pre-boot memory test on the new modules.

Any ideas?

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does the bios show the full amount of memory?

If the bios does show the correct amount of memory, then check msconfig [start>run and type in "msconfig" without quotes and hit enter. I seldom use windows so this is from memory however it should be under the boot tab then click the advanced button. If the max memory box has a checkmark, remove the checkmark and restart.

4. oldguy001

oldguy001 Thread Starter

No, the BIOS does not show all the memory. And, Windows 7 cannot find msconfig.exe.

5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

According to the CRUCIAL memory site, here are the complete specifications for the 8 GB(4 GB X 2) memory kit for the Dell Studio 1555 laptop.

According to the driver downloads section for that laptop, the most current BIOS update for it is A13. Which version does yours have?

---------------------------------------------------------

6. oldguy001

oldguy001 Thread Starter

Yes, the BIOS is A13 - the most recent Dell download. And, yes, the memory specs are exactly the same as the ones I have installed.

7. flavallee

Okay, good.

I'll leave you with crjdriver. (y)

-------------------------------------------------------

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the bios does not show the memory, then it is not possible for windows to use the memory.

Go back and recheck your work; be sure the ram is fully seated. Note modern mb have pw on the board ALL of the time; even when OFF. To properly install ram, do the following;
    1 System OFF. Pull the pw cord from the back of the pw supply.
    2 Press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes and residual charge from the pw supply capacitors.
    3 Install or remove ram.
    4 Replace the pw cord and pw ON.

Win7 has msconfig. You need to type that into the run box; not search for it. Note run does not appear in win7 by default; you must right click on the task bar and go to properties>customize. Put a checkmark for the run command.

9. flavallee

Here is a pictorial view of what crjdriver is referring to.

Attached Files:

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Thanks; I am not using windows at the moment.

11. flavallee

12. oldguy001

oldguy001 Thread Starter

Thanks for trying to help. It was simply an inattentive mistake. The memory was not seated completely in the slot, so only one module was showing up. So sorry I wasted your time.

13. flavallee

You did NOT waste our time.

Thanks for advising us what the issue was and how you resolved it.

---------------------------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1123450