Solved: memory upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

philtivvy

Hi
This computer has a trigem imperial 1.02 mainboard with 256 mb of RAM.
I would like to increase the size of the memory to at least 512 mb but am confused by the descriptions of the different cards.
How would the memory I need be described?
best wishes
phil

All you need to ask for is pc2700. Most store clerks will know what you want. I would recommend at least another 512mb of ram, or you can get 2 512mb and replace the one that is currently on that mobo. XP will run better with more ram, but 1gb should be fine.

Okay, i must have posted whilst MicahelDee was and didn;t see his post...

Yup, his advice is valid and should be sound :)

philtivvy

Thanks guys
I still dont know what are the differences between different kinds of RAM but I now know which type to use.
The crucial.com link was particularly helpful.
Thanks again
phil

philtivvy

Hi again
Ihave just fitted 2 X 1gigabyte memory modules and run the crucial scan again and it tells me I have fitted 2 X 512 mb modules, although they are clearly marked as 1 Gig.
Do I have a problem? If so is it with the new memory or with the mainboard? And, can I do anything about it?
regards
phil

philtivvy

Hi DoubleHelix
When I ran the Crucial scan it said the optimum configuration for my computer was 2 X 1 gig sticks of RAM, but I remember seeing something on the web site to the effect that there was no guarantee that it would be compatible. Is this the problem?
Regards
phil

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online