1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memory upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thegamemodo9, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thegamemodo9

thegamemodo9 Thread Starter

I have an old Dell Dimension 8200 (it's now a little over 5 years old). It has 512MB of RAM and I was thinking about upgrading it. I've been reading that since it runs with RDRAM (PC800, 184 pin RIMM) that I should only put that kind of memory in there. My friend (who has upgraded memory in a countless number of systems but is no technician by any means) says it's ok if I put 2 256MB DDR memory modules in there (I know that the system requires memory modules to be installed in pairs). I don't think it's a good idea to put the DDR in here, but I wanted to know for sure. I was thinking that I just buy two of the PC800 RDRAM modules. Thoughts?

2. Sponsor

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

RDRAM is not the same as DDR RAM. The type of memory you have is incredibly expensive. A 512MB chip is about $290 dollars. I believe some boards accepted two different types of RAM, either RDRAM or DDR, but you can't mix and match. If you have RDRAM now, exclusively, you have to either upgrade with that or replace it completely.

4. thegamemodo9

thegamemodo9 Thread Starter

That's exactly what I thought but I wanted to make sure, thanks for clearing it up for me.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I highly suggest against blowing over $500 on RAM for a 5 year old computer. You can buy a new system with that.

6. toohip4u

toohip4u

Don't know if u guys are still around but I have a delima on the same pc trying to figure out what exactly is the type of RAm I have in it. I get conflicting answer's from varying sources. Can anyone help?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648519