1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mamacat104, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mamacat104

Mamacat104 Thread Starter

I had a harddrive problem, which is now resolved. Once I reformatted the drive and started loading things back on...I have now run into a memory problem. I have 128 meg ram in the computer...but it is suddenly only recognizing 64 megs of it.
    I will go into it tonight and try to reseat the memory and hope that solves the problem.
    Is there a way to tell if it has gone bad?

thanks
    Barbara

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi again, I responded in your other thead as well....try each chip individually.......the bad one will make the computer not start........

4. Mamacat104

thanks,
    I'll check to be sure still seated good and then run the test.
    Will let you know when done...
    It will be tonight before I can do anything.
    (or tomorrow...)
    thanks
    Barbara

5. Richardhtml

Richardhtml

I have heard of people mixing PC 100 and PC133 ram and experiencing the same problems. PC 100 is for a 100MHz motherboard

6. Mamacat104

Thanks,
    I know that the memory chips are the same. When I installed them, I took out the old one and installed two 64 meg chips. At one time, It was recognizing the entire 128 megs, but now is only showing the 64. So either one has come lose (possibly) or it has gone bad. I have been in and out of the computer several times. This is one I rebuilt.
    I thought I would reseat them tonight or tomorrow and check it out. If one has gone bad, I will replace it Saturday.

these last two months, the computers have really tried my patience and my knowlege with them. I have had to work on the computers more in the last two months, then I have in the last two years.

Last night while I was working on the computer, suddenly the Windows Explorer performed an illegal function and shutdown. I was checking something online. I was still online, but no Windows explorer ... couldn't use the start button to get any programs or shut down. then suddenly I lost something else. It was weird. Last week I had a hard drive total crash suddenly..no warning, just suddenly started making noise and then gone. When you tried to boot back up, it could no longer read the drive... Before that...didn't make any changes to the computer, didn't load anything, didn't delete anything, yet suddenly, a necessary file needed to start up windows disappeared.
    Really strange.
    thanks for your help and as soon as I get into it and figure it out, I'll let you know what happens...or if I need more help, I'll be back.
    Really appreciate all your help.
    have a good day
    Barbara (Wednesday 2/12/03)

7. Mamacat104

2/14/03
    I reseated the memory last night. THey are in good. I booted the computer...and I noticed something last night, I didn't notice before.

when you boot up, on the screen that comes up in the beginning, it displays 64.0 ram...
    If you go to the Control Panel and click on SYSTEM, it is displaying 128 mg pentium. If I go into Norton System Works,
    it is showing that I have 128 meg ram loaded.
    So is it normal to have the computer display the 64 during boot and yet the SYSTEM info shows 128? I never noticed this before.
    So Can I assume that I am running with all 128 as okay...?

thanks
    Barbara

8. ~Candy~

It would appear that your display adapter has 64 megs of memory? Does that sound familiar?

9. Mamacat104

Oooooh! I'll be that is it. Never thought about that. My new video card I installed is 64mb
    that makes sense then. thank you so much... that is what it is...duh! I just have never noticed that before.

thank you sooooo much for setting me straight.

have a wonderful day/ great weekend
    and Happy Valentine's day to you

Barbara

10. ~Candy~

You're welcome Barbara, have a great weekend too....will mark this puppy solved :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice