1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Memtest freezing in new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by godotd, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. godotd

godotd Thread Starter

Here's my problem,

I've put together a new computer for a friend of mine the stat's of which are;

Intel e8400 3.0ghz
    Gigabyte Ep45-ds3l motherboard BIOS revision f4 and f7 (updated on the first motherboard)
    2X2gb OCZ 1066 platinum ram
    2X750Gb WD greenpower hdds Sata
    Pioneer 215 BK DVD burner Sata
    MSI 9800GT OC edition
    500w Coolermaster extreme power pro PSU 2 X 18 amp 12v rails
    In a Coolermaster Centurion RC330 case

Posted fine but took nearly 30 secs to post on startup.
    I got Windows XP to install and latest drivers. and it started freezing randomly usually while copying files pver network or running 3d mark 06, and memtest to check for stability. no errors come up i.e. BSOD for windows or memory errors for memtest, 'IT JUST FREEZES'. I've swapped out the ram, Powersupply, Videocard, and BIOS updated and bench tested the first motherboard as well as disconnected hdd's during memtest, and used a different optical drive(IDE), all of which still froze in memtest/3d mark. I've even plugged the computer into another outlet to rule out power current problems. While at the place that i purchased most of the computer parts from the powersupply tested fine, and the motherboard, with my own ram and CPU in it did not freeze during memtest, but it did take nearly 30 secs to post and they replaced it with another board. Brought it back home and it still freezes during memtest..... I'm at a loss does anyone have any suggestions????!!!!

other test components used are,

X1950 pro and another MSI 9800gt videocard
    Superflower 500w PSU 30amp 12v rail
    2X1gb twinmos 800 ram
    nec IDE dvd drive

Please i'm going mad with trying to get it to get through memtest....

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see a few things that may cause you a problem.

1 Did you set the vdimm [ram voltage] in the bios? OCZ ram often needs a higher than stock vdimm.

2 Next the pw supply is pretty minimal to run that system. What does the bios show for voltages? Do you see the voltages going up and down while checking in the bios or are they steady? Remember if they are low in the bios, they will drop quite a bit lower when putting the system under load.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I have a gigabyte board here for a system I just built and it does take a few extra seconds to begin post. I would say it takes 5~10 seconds more to post than other boards.
    One other item. As a test, I would turn off EIST in the bios. While eist works very well, with the vcore going up and down, that puts another variable into the troubleshooting.

4. godotd

godotd Thread Starter

1. Thanks for the info about OCZ ram i'll do some research into that.

2. I used sensor visual pro (something like that anyway) to read the 12v and it did dip to 9.40v when it crashed but was a stable 12.10v to 11.80v till then on the first motherboard which bot me thinking it was a PSU or motherboard problem. the PSU was attached to a test system at the computer store with a 280gtx and it didn't miss a beat in 3d mark or memtest.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are seeing the 12V in the bios going from 12.1 to 11.8, I would really think about another pw supply.

Next post a link to your exact ram and I will tell you what vdimm to set.

6. godotd

godotd Thread Starter

Link to ram
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_platinum_2gb_edition

IN the bios it's stable at 11. 795v and doesn't move it' only when in windows that i can see fluctuation of the 12v rail. I increased ram voltage to 2.2 v and it still crashed in memtest, this time though it took 2 mins as upposed to the 30 secs that it's been taken since puting the new motherboard into the computer.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is fine for the vdimm. Having the 12V at 11.79 in the bios is pretty low. The system is not under any load when running in the bios.

At this point, I would be swapping in known good parts. Start with the pw supply. While it is possible to get two bad motherboards in a row, I would think that at least one of them would have been OK.

8. godotd

godotd Thread Starter

Yeah, and thanks for the ideas and help man, my own system has run on the superflower PSU(which had the reading of 11.79 in the new intel system) with the 12v rail working at 12.80v stable. just re-tested the coolermaster PSU in the bios and it runs at 11.950v in the bios, if it is the PSU's not giving enough juice to the computer 1. they're not going to give me a refund at the store i bought the parts at and i'm thinking that my friend won't want to spend an extra 150 or so for a 750w truepower PSU, and 2. my own system runs stable for days on the superflower PSU and i haven't had these problems. It's specs are
    AMD 4200+ X2 939
    4X512mb ddr ram dual channel
    MSI 9800 gt
    4 hdd's
    2 optical drives
    fan controller

And using several power calculators for PSU's on the net the new system isn't drawing that much power that it needs a higher PSU from what i got from the thermaltake PSU calculator it only needs a 400w PSU and also from a nother site it calculated the maximum drain on the 12v rails to be 14amp and it's rated to 18amp on both the rails, and there is the fast it ran a nvidia 280gtx on a test system at the store with no problems. Individually I've ruled out ever component at some point in time for being the culprate, I've got no idea left cept buy a giant PSU and hope that will solve the problem.

oh and interesting side note once the system has frozen hitting the reset button will cause a poweron for a second then power off loop that doesn't stop till i hit the PSU off switch.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As a test, why not pull pw from ALL drives except one CD type drive. Disconnect any case type fan. Now run memtest from the bootable CD and see if it completes the test. If it does, you know power is the problem.

10. godotd

godotd Thread Starter

I did that.... still froze in memtest, tried the old x1950 pro video card as well just to make sure, it froze. I wish i had another idea to go on that doesn't involve spending money or the like. Frick :(

11. godotd

godotd Thread Starter

Well i'm going to go back to the computer store with the PC and test if it works on thier power. I'm hoping that it's my power supply to the house that is fluctuating to much for the motherboard to handle and my friends house will be fine. Other than that maybe they can come up with something as well. I'll post my findings here later.

12. godotd

godotd Thread Starter

Turns out it is the motherboard that is unstable i grabbed an ASUS P5Q-Pro as a test board with all other original components attached and it Ran through memtest just fine, the giga-byte Ep45-ds3l rev 1.0 is unstable as far as i can see,at least with the rig i've built apon, so i recommend no one purchase this motherboard till at least a Bios update is released fixing the Issue. I'm waiting on giga-bytes reply from my tech question about it, but untill then Spread the word... :p

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/738984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice