1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Messed up Control Panel and Folder Options

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kokimunchter, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kokimunchter

kokimunchter Thread Starter

hi to all:

i'm using a Dell Latitude D600 notebook with W2K SP4

my problem: :confused:

when i click the Adminstrative Tools and Fonts icons using the Control Panel Folder (path:Start Button/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tool OR Fonts), no Administrative Tool nor Fonts folders come out.

i already checked the path the Fonts icon uses and it shows the correct path i.e. WINNT/FONTS. As for the Administrative Tool, I have no idea at all.

2ndly, when using the Explorer, I used to have the Advance Tab in the Folder Options, but for some reason, after I uninstalled most of my softwares, approx 28 uninstalled softwares ( I decided to run and maintain a 'lean' notebook), whenever I open the Folder options menu in the Explorer, I only get the File Types and Offline Tabs. It's important for me to get the Advance Tab back since I use this tab in conjuntion with the improved Advance option reg file found in MDGx.com.

The odd thing is everything acts normal except for the 2 'quirks' aforementioned.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does the Administrative Tools folder exist here:

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"

Try going to start > run and enter:

regsvr32 shell32.dll

See if that corrects anything.

3. kokimunchter

Hi,

Found the AT folder but it doesn't contain the shortcuts, so i copied the shortcuts found in the same folder from the "All Users" folder but when I try using clicking the path: Start Button/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools, nothing happens.

just tried the regsvr32...as well, we'll see if things change after i post this reply and restart the notebook

regards

4. kokimunchter

curious...

when i tired using the copied Administrtive shortcut files to my documents and settings folder, i wasn't able to use it using the icon: Start Button/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools
    but if I put the shortcut on my Desktop, I could access all the msc's by just clicking the shortcuts

on the regsvr32, i'm still missing the Folder Option, View, Advance Tab

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think maybe you are confusing the Advanced tab in Internet Options with Folder Options.

I don't think there is an Advanced tab available in Folder Options unless Win2K is different than XP.

There is however an "Advanced" key in the registry which contains an option for removing the Administrative Tools shortcut from the Start Menu. You might want to run regedit and see if you have this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

The Administrative Tools "GUID" is here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524153}

and here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524153}

and here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved

Fonts is here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524152}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524152}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524152}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved

>> are any of these keys missing, especially the HKCR key for each?

special folders: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/61/

6. kokimunchter

thank you for the replies,

you're right about the missing registries, i tried putting a new "Administrative Tools and "Fonts" shortcut in the desktop a few days ago and instead of creating shortcuts, i recieved a missing file/ shortcut error...:

Fonts: {D20EA4E1-3957-11D2-A40B-0C5020524152}
    Administrative Tools: {D20EA4E1-3957-11D2-A40B-0C5020524153}

i suppose these entries were invariably deleted when i installed most of my pc's programs OR maybe the registry was somehow messed up when i was doing some system maintenance;

regarding the Tools | Folder Options, inquiry, i did gave a confused statement, ..sorry for that ; )

what i wanted to say was inteas of having 4 tabs in the the Tools|Folder Options of the Explorer, mine was just showing 2 tabs i.e. File Types Tab and Offline Tab

the 2 tabs that disappeared are the General Tab and the View Tab; what do i have to do to get it back?

regards,

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's try this again, start > run, type and enter each line:

regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

The missing keys could be copied and imported from another system if you have one. I can also upload copies of my own XP SP2 which are probably identical.

Also check to see whether this key is present:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

8. kokimunchter

hi again ..ok i just registered the 2 dlls, i hope this corrects the missing tabs after i restart..and yup, the aforementioned registry key exists

..the other day when i checked the registry keys you mentioned mssg#5 (Administrative Tools and Folders) the last keys of both folders were missing so i created it but still no change occured using my user profile ..i'll try copying and exporting the registry file of the said special folders from my desktop unit and import it to my notebook, hopefully this corrects the problem

..keping my fingers crossed = )

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I remember fixing the missing tabs issue for someone quite some time back -- I think it was the regsvr32 shell32.dll which did it -- and this seemed to be confirmed by the only google hit in which I saw it resolved.

But I might have had someone import a registry key, If I did, I don't know what it was other than that Advanced key. I tried deleting it on my own system and all it did was lose the entries seen when you open it , not the tabs themselves.

Try this as well:

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

Also, this key should also contain a folder key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advan ced\folder

10. kokimunchter

registered the dll, and it did corrected the missing tabs issue, ..my deepest gratitudes, for helping with the problem and educating me as well ; )

..i have doubts though that the regsvr32 /i shell32.dll alone corrected it, maybe the registration of both shell32.dll and browseui.dll OR maybe the inclusion of the /i switch(??) = )

currently, i have already all the aforementioned registry keys of both AT and Fonts (mssg#5), even the HKEYLM\Soft\Micro\Win\CurVer\Exp\Adv\Folder ..but still, no change in the At and Font behaviour when clicking the icons in the Control Panel

11. kokimunchter

follow up:
    just finished importing the registries from my desktop to my notebook unit, the AdminTools and Fonts folders are back!!

..in the words of the Mythbusters, the solutions provided in curing the "Messed up Control Panel and Folder Options" is confirmed! = )

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I never thought ths /i switch really made a difference, considering it was the default -- but that might have been it. I thought the browseiui.dll really only applied to Internet Options -- but since I saw a couple of reported resolutions where it was included I added it.

Anyway we know the combination works.

If all seems well you can mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice