1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Messenger problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Yokoh, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yokoh

Yokoh Thread Starter

Hey,
    I recently installed back to Windows xp due to problems with windows 7
    but now everytime I try to intall messenger live it says I already have a messenger... well, orly?
    I cant find a single file related to msn cuz I deleted every possible already, I had to remove manually also windows xp's own crappy old version of msn cuz it didnt appear on the add/remove list at the control panel.
    So .. suggestions?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

- Download the latest WLM version
    - Update XP especially with Security and of course SP3 through Windows Update
    - Go to "C:\Program Files\Windows Live" and remove "Messenger" folder (note: replace "C" with your root drive letter)
    - Go to "C:programData" (note: replace "C" with your root drive letter) and delete both Windows Live Installer and WLInstaller if you have any
    - Restart PC
    - Run the installer

3. Yokoh

Yokoh Thread Starter

I updated all rest of the updates at windows update site,
    tho I now see the windows live installer is shown in my add/remove programs with other stuff related to it
    but im not able to remove it from there because it doesn't appear to have a 'remove' button when I click it, also any 'windows live' files dont exist in program files anymore.
    ...So running latest windows live intall still ends with same results claiming I already have it, or trying to install msn 7.5 for example ends with message saying I already have a higher version of msn so instal exits

and...I dont have such folder at C as 'ProgramData'

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

5. Yokoh

Yokoh Thread Starter

By a full format and then instal from cd

I think it appears on the list cause I tried removing it manually and reinstalling.
    I just cant find any windows live files to remove to be able to reinstal now, not even in the registry

6. Yokoh

Yokoh Thread Starter

I managed to solve the problem using:
    ''windows installer cleanup utility''

solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice