1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft excel creating search display

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Bigdarts, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bigdarts

Bigdarts Thread Starter

Hi, new to the forums, love what I have seen so far. I was reading the following question, the code is great , it seems to be the final piece that I need to create a search in Excel. Post # is 1147107

What I would like to know if it would be possible to

1) Use this code from a userform
    2) Search multiple worksheets in the same workbook
    3) Have the results populate back to the userform instead of to a worksheet

I have attached the worksheet from the original post

I am running Windos 7x64 and Excel 2013

Thanks for your assistance in advance

Attached Files:

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi welcome to the forum.
    I see you've posted the same file that I worked on.
    I'm off on a holiday for the next few days so won't be doing much of this until I'm back.
    I'll check back when I return to see if anyone has helped you out, else I'll pick it up from there.
    Just one question, why do you want it in a userform? What if the search returns more more than one result?

3. Bigdarts

Bigdarts Thread Starter

My plan is to use it on a multi page contact list, that people are always messing up, so I figured if I put the results in a list box control on the user form, then made the workbook read only that would cut down on errors. There shouldnt be more that 4 or 5 returns.

Part of the reason I'm here is to learn better ways to do things, I knew before I got here that this listing should be maintained in an Access database, but the powers that be are married to Excel for almost every list we maintain, mainly because its all they know.

thanks for your help and enjoy your holiday

4. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Okay, got it.
    Could you attach a sample file with the actual headers (coulmns) you have and also tell me which of the field or fields you want on the userform.
    You could already create a userform with the data you require to see so that we have something to start on.

Check this one, it's another option
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=1147068&goto=newpost

Read if after the Holidays.:)

5. Bigdarts

Bigdarts Thread Starter

I checked that post out, it might work for what i need. I'll do a little more research/testing to see

Thanks

6. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    I'm back, did you get the chance / time to test/research the other option?

7. Bigdarts

Bigdarts Thread Starter

I think it will work with a little tweaking. The other option allows searching with results returned in a user form, the big hurdle for me next is to put the data on a separate worksheet and then hide/password protect it to casual users, and then make a userform to allow updates and additions. Thanks for your assistance

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice