1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Microsoft Feeds Synchronization" error message prevents Windows XP activatio

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Royal_Flush, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Royal_Flush

Royal_Flush Thread Starter

Windows XP would not boot in my wife's old computer off of her hard drive so I booted it off of my installation disk. I then instructed it to repair the windows already installed. When prompted I entered her key and it appeared to be completing the installation. I am presently trying to activate windows XP on my wife's computer by clicking Start > All Programs > Activate Windows but the activation window does not open and shortly there after I get the error message:"Microsoft Feeds Synchronization has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience" presumably preventing Windows XP activation. Even entering "oobe/msoobe /a" in the Run window does not launch the activation window which I once again presume is blocked by the error message.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

If her laptop had IE7 or IE8 installed, that can mess things up as a repair install will put some IE6 files back on the system. Activation uses the IE core files, so mixed versions here can prevent activation from working. It can also cause the Feeds error, as IE 6 doesn't have that feature

I'd give this a try, see if that will get it working:
    Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
    Check the Show Updates box
    If you have IE8 installed, uninstall any IE8 updates, then uninstall IE8
    Restart the PC, the repeat the above for IE7.

If Add/Remove programs doesn't list IE7 or IE8, but you know one of them was installed:
    First, set the system to show Hidden and System files:
    To change View Settings to show hidden/system files:
    In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View tab
    Check the following:
    Display the contents of system folders (not present in Win2K/Vista)
    Show hidden files and folders
    Uncheck the following:
    Hide extensions for known file types (WinXP/Vista)
    Hide file extensions for known file types (Win2K)
    Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Right click My Computer, click Explore
    Navigate to C:\Windows\ieXupdates (where X is 7 or 8)
    Click View | Details
    In the right pane click the Date Modified header to sort by date
    In the right pane, double click any KBXXXXXX folders starting with the newest folder, then double click the spuninst folder.
    Double click the spuninst.exe file.
    Once all the updates are uninstalled:
    Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\ieX\spuninst (where X is 7 or 8) and double click spuninst.exe
    If you have both ie7 and ie8 folders, uninstall ie8updates first, then ie8, then ie7updates, then ie7.

Some updates may require you to reboot, do so if requested.

Once activated, you can re-install IEX as desired.

HTH

Jerry

3. Royal_Flush

Thank you Jerry, you're a lifesaver! Of course Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs did not show IE8 installed or IE7. It may interest you to know I had only to uninstall ie8updates first, then ie8 before I activated windows. IE8 is the reason I switched to Firefox. Incidentally my wife gives an annual presentation to her doctor peers at the NMT symposium in Portland (which she loves) travelling from here in the green mtns. of Vermont every fall. Our Website: http://www.nmtcanada.com
    Now I must change my experience level from intermediate as it is far below yours! Thanks so much again.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome!

Thanks for the info that you only needed to uninstall IE8. Makes sense, as uninstalling it would restore the previous IE7 version, eliminating any IE6 files.

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post) :)

[​IMG]

Jerry

5. Royal_Flush

In fact ie identified itself as version 6 so issues remained with ie. This lack of functionality was due ie7 files. Also although windows updates icon claimed they were downloading they were in fact not. I could not reinstall ie7 so I uninstalled the numerous ie7 updates each of which required a restart, then ie7. This appears to have resolved the remaining issues and I will mark the string as solved as soon as my practitioner wife gives it a clean bill of health.

6. Royal_Flush

:confused: While printing today the printer stopped working. I checked the USB ports and printer driver. The lexmark driver in add or remove programs had a diagonal line through it so I reinstalled it to no avail. Perhaps this is Lexmark's uninstall symbol! I tried to open the users guide but for some reason it required Acrobat Reader which was already installed. Regardless I allowed it to download Ver 4.05 but I got a severe meassage: "unable to update the system registry" so I clicked ok and it completed the installation. Now I find that in Printers & Faxes under Control Panel the printer is listed as paused. Right clicking it and clicking resume printing does nothing. I then restarted the computer and the printer resumed printing!

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I do so little printing I just don't know that much about printer problems. I have had a similar issue though, where a document would print a few lines, then be paused and nothing would un-pause it. Power off printer, reboot, delete document from the queue, then print again and it's OK, but I don't know why it happens. I've only had it happen maybe once every couple of years, but that's only 10-20 pages for me.

8. Royal_Flush

I had to download a realtek ac '97' audio driver which had mysteriously disappeared from the hard drive. Other than the printer problem which can probably be solved by phoning lexmark which we had to do previously when it would not work at all other issues seem to be resolved as far as I know. My wife has been using my laptop in the sun porch so neither of us really know! ;-)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/849828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice