1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Office 2000/Windows 7 Compatibility

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by L Henry, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Will Microsoft Office 2000 Professional install and function properly on a computer running Windows 7 (64 bit)?

The microsoft Compatibility site was of no help, merely wanted to sell new version of software.

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Thats because its not officially supported on Windows Vista or 7. Outlook for example has issues with both Vista and 7. But other programs do apparently work OK.

4. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

I only want to install Word from the CD. Will I be able to select from total office suite what I specifically want to install? I've not used the CD in years.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes choose "custom install" and install whatever you like, except as mentioned Outlook does have issues..

6. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

I selected "custom Install" and "word", however, when installation was complete the entire program including "outlook" was installed. Obviously, I made an error in the selection process. Is there a way to remove the components separately or must I remove the entire program and start over? Add/Remove Programs lists only the entire "Microsoft Office 2000" program.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

You can uninstall individual components using the installer from the CD or through Programs & Features in the Control Panel - you have to select "Not Installed" by right clicking on the programs you do not want.

Also the reason it installed everything else is because by default all they are selected, during the Custom selection you need to unselect them.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah you have to choose "custom" and open each program and choose "do not install" to only install what you like. I think it would be easier to uninstall then and reinstall.

9. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Did complete uninstall using "Add/Remove Programs"

Selected Custom, but could not find "do not install". Tried "right click" on selected items, but "do not install" or related item was not an option. Tried to exclude all but "word" by eliminating the " + " by all items other than by "word", however, all items were again installed.

What step(s) did I omit in my second attempt to install "Word" without the other programs?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Which options do you get when you right click on the other programs?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you do the "custom install" you see "+" and "-" signs in the margin and if you click open each category program i.e. "Outlook", you can choose to install or not install every single component of "Office".

12. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

The options when I click each program catagory program are: Run from my computer, Run all from my computer, Run from CD, Run all from CD, Installed on first use, and Not Available.

"Not avaliable" places a red x next to selecteed items. Should this be my selection?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Not Available is the one you want to choose if you do not want that component to be installed.

14. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Success!

Thanks to all for your help and patience.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Good to hear (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/904563