1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Office 2003 Word problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bellisimo, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

I'm having a strange problem with Microsoft Word 2003 SP3.

It only happens on new docs. I'm a writer and when I open ongoing projects in Word everything is fine, but when I open a new doc. my Page Setup doesn't work. If I set it to have 1" of space top, bottom and sides, it doesn't work on the top. My first line starts at the very top of the page.

Also, the ruler up the left side should be dark where that top inch of space should be, but it isn't because it's not working. I discovered a temporary fix in Page Setup by setting the top space to be 2" and the sides and bottom to be 1". However, even doing this I don't get the dark inch or so at the top of my left margin ruler.

I did a repair in ADD Remove Programs but it didn't change anything. It might be a corruption in Word because I have the same Office 2003, SP3 on my laptop and I've compared all the settings on both computers and they appear to be identical.

Has anyone here run into this problem, and do you think uninstalling and reinstalling Office might solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi bellisimo

With Word 2003 closed, do a Search for Normal.dot and rename it Normal.dot.old

Start Word 2003, Word will create a new Normal.dot file.

Let us know if that makes a difference or not.

4. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Thanks EAFiedler,

I tried it two ways and didn't have any success in finding it. The message I got was that it was hidden or password protected and was inaccessible. It's 2 a.m. so I'll try again in the morning as adminstrator, which I realize I should have done in the first place.

I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks very much.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

We'll be here. :)

Make sure you have Show Hidden Files and Folders enabled.

Windows XP:
    Open My Computer,
    Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
    • under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
    • Remove the check mark for Hide Extensions for known file types.
    Apply, OK to save and close.​

6. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Post a screen shot of what you have?

Drag your cursor to the top edge of the paper, and when it turns to a double arrow click it.

7. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Hi EAFiedler,

Okay, I've tried again as per your instructions and I'm still getting a message that says the file is inaccessible. I had taken out the checkmarks you referred to. I then went into Microsoft Office in my Program files and couldn't find the Normal.dot file there either. Is there a way to find it in the registry if I do a Run and Regedit?

Thanks again.

8. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Hi DaveA,

Thank you. It worked. Problem solved. I never would have figured that out in a million years, though I don't expect to live that long:)

Thanks a lot.

9. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Thanks again EAFiedler,

The little trick DaveA suggested solved the problem. Thanks for your patience and the time you took to help me with this problem.

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Seems I was over thinking this one. :) Good job DaveA

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/933920