Solved: Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions Troubles

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smooth

Garrett
Hey everybody :D

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, but just can't seem to get it to work right.

I have the Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions, which has a packaging wizard, that is used to package up a Access database and include a runtime environment, so users without access on their computer can use a database.

I have access on the computer in my office, so I take the file I want to package, and run the wizard, creating a setup file for the database and runtime. Now, I go over to the server, run the setup program, and have it installed on the server.

I can run the database on the server fine. I open it up, it runs in runtime mode, just as the package wizard said it should, and I can do whatever I want. The problem I am having is, I try to create a share, so that I can share this program with users on the network.

When I do this, it just doesn't work right. It is saying that it can't find the file "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\ifg_agent_database\ifg_agents_modified_10_13_05.mdb"

Any ideas on what is going on?

Hey smooth,

Curious, why share a database file from the server when you could create a distributed front-end/back-end setup?

chris.

smooth

Garrett
Hey Chris,

I'm not sure what you mean by the distributed front-end/back-end setup.

Well, you would split your database so that all the forms, reports, queries, and user-dependent tables (if any) reside in one .mdb file, while all the tables reside in another .mdb file. The file with the tables is the back-end, and only one copy need exist. The other file is the front-end, which is user-specific, and may be copied and distributed to every end user in your setup.

That way, every user has an individual copy of the application, and you won't have to worry about people stepping on each other when trying to work within the database (this would've been a major issue if people were accessing a single file over a share). Access even provides a wizard for this functionality. Check Tools-->Database Utilities-->Database Splitter. And read more about splitting an Access database as well as front-end/back-end (FE/BE) setups before deciding if that's what you want to do. It sounds like it would fit your requirement pretty well.

chris.

smooth

Garrett
That sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that today. :)

The reason with the developer extensions, however, is because one of the users needs to work from home, and doesn't have Access on their computer. I would need to create a runtime environment for them, so they could access the database as well.

With a split database, would I be able to achieve this?

It depends. Does this user have network access to the company from home? I'm not quite sure how that would work...

I mean, I assume as long as the user has a secure link to the back-end, it doesn't matter where the front-end resides, but I'm not positive about that. Either way, that user needs a mechanism to synchronize the data in his (or her?) database with the company's database. There are different synchronization methods, but I don't know much about them. Sorry 'bout that.

chris.

smooth

Garrett
When I try and split the database, I get an error message. I attached the file.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Attachments

Sorry, I've been sick. Do you still have the error? I looked at the screenshot; I'm not sure what's going on. It almost looks like you have an unnamed object--or a null pointer--somewhere in your database. What seems like a single double-quote character (") is actually two single-quote characters (' '). There is supposed to be an object name between them. It would probably be one of your tables. Do you have a table without a name?

chris.

smooth

Garrett
Sorry I haven't replied in a while. It's been a really busy week. :(

We now have the runtime's working correctly. :D I never could get the database to split correctly. I'm going to be working on that for a while. None of my tables are misnamed, so there must be an object named that within a form or something.

:/ That ZLS object name bugs me. I might toss together a script for you to run, if you don't mind. Maybe; I don't want to commit to that. But I'm really curious as to what the splitter utility's stuck on.

Glad you got it worked out though, man (y) Mark it solved?

chris.

smooth

Garrett
That'd be cool with the script. :D Only if you have time and it doesn't set you back or anything.

Yes, marked as solved. I appreciate the help Chris. (y)

Hi, i've created a database to manage property for my brothers estate agents. However, I cannot get it to work on his machines which are running the same OS and version of Access. I cannot figure out what it is that is missing.

What I have noticed is that, once I peel away some of the layers (I am using several layers of tabs) the individual screens work fine.

The only difference that I have on my machine is the installation of Visual Studio 2005 Professional.

Is there anyway that I can figure out what the missing components might be so that I can install them on his computer for the application to work?

Any help would be much appreciated. I have given him my word, and I was hoping to be able to deploy the App in Access... I have nightmares about having to create the entire thing in a programming language... again.

Kind Regards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online