1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Office Outlook vs Outlook Express?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Tracee, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tracee

Tracee Thread Starter

My friend just had her computer reformatted after a bad virus contamination. It is still running EXTREMELY slow but has at least been running correctly. She is running XP

Yesterday I installed Microsoft Office 2003 for her with Microsoft Outlook and now her email doesn't seem to be working. She uses Outlook Express as her mail default rather than Office Outlook but keeps getting the error message that it can't find the POP3.

I also installed AVG for her and have shut off the email plugin to see if that is part of the problem.

The thing is, it happened yesterday right after I installed these programs for her but then a minute later her email worked just fine. Now she just restarted her computer and the mail won't work again.

Is there something wrong with her computer or is it at the server?

I hope this all makes sense.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Is she receiving any error messages?
    If so, please post the exact message.

Is the Firewall allowing Outlook Express access to the Internet?

How does she connect to the Internet?
    Dial-Up
    DSL
    Cable?

3. Tracee

Tracee Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I'm not at her house right now but I believe the error message says "pop3 cannot be found and to check server settings" or something that indicates that.

I'm assuming that the firewall is ok because it allowed her to connect yesterday and this morning until she restarted the computer. How do I check that for her?

She has a highspeed dialup connection

I may be able to find out more later today if I go over there.

4. Tracee

Tracee Thread Starter

Looks like it fixed itself so I'm hoping it was just a server problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice