Solved: Microsoft Office Outlook vs Outlook Express?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tracee

My friend just had her computer reformatted after a bad virus contamination. It is still running EXTREMELY slow but has at least been running correctly. She is running XP

Yesterday I installed Microsoft Office 2003 for her with Microsoft Outlook and now her email doesn't seem to be working. She uses Outlook Express as her mail default rather than Office Outlook but keeps getting the error message that it can't find the POP3.

I also installed AVG for her and have shut off the email plugin to see if that is part of the problem.

The thing is, it happened yesterday right after I installed these programs for her but then a minute later her email worked just fine. Now she just restarted her computer and the mail won't work again.

Is there something wrong with her computer or is it at the server?

I hope this all makes sense.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Is she receiving any error messages?
If so, please post the exact message.

Is the Firewall allowing Outlook Express access to the Internet?

How does she connect to the Internet?
Dial-Up
DSL
Cable?

Tracee

I'm sorry, I'm not at her house right now but I believe the error message says "pop3 cannot be found and to check server settings" or something that indicates that.

I'm assuming that the firewall is ok because it allowed her to connect yesterday and this morning until she restarted the computer. How do I check that for her?

She has a highspeed dialup connection

I may be able to find out more later today if I go over there.

Tracee

Looks like it fixed itself so I'm hoping it was just a server problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online