1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Office Word 2003 question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bellisimo, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Just recently something has changed with my Microsoft Office Word 2003 app.

I'm a writer and I have always been able to drag my pages that I have written today to a folder in My Documents and the same file would stay on my desktop for immediate access later. I realize other may not work this way but it is how I prefer to work as it has become my habit :)

When I try to drag and drop it now, it drops into the My Documents folder but it no longer remains on the desktop.

Now, in conjunction with this problem, I have another new problem, which is that when I write a page of text in Word and save it to a My Documents folder it doesn't go there. Also when I save a picture to My Pictures as I've always done it won't be there when I look for it. Something is preventing me from saving things and I haven't a clue what it is. I have to open the My Documents folder and drag the Word text page into it. It's the only way I can save stuff for some reason.

Can someone please tell me how I can fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

The default action when dragging files around a hard drive is that it will move the file. If you try to drag a file from one hard drive to another (or any two different mediae) then the default action will be the file will copy. That's just the way Windows has been for years.

You can always override the default action by holding down one of two keys when dragging:
    If you hold down the SHIFT key the forced action will be to move the file.
    If you hold down the CTRL key the forced action will be to copy the file.

Another way, if you can't remember those special key overrides, is to just right-click drag from one place to the other. If you do it that way, then when you let up on the right-mouse button you will see a menu, and it will show you the options of copy, move, or just make a shortcut at the new location.

I am wondering why you would want a copy of a file in two different places? (Your My Documents and your Desktop.) You said one is for immediate access. But if you have it in two places you can easily have revision differences between the two, and you will always have to be aware of which is the most current one. There are some ways to ease or even automate the syncing of the two locations to make sure that both are kept current to each other, but I have a better solution...

Keep your documents in your My Documents folder. Then just make a shortcut to whatever you are working on onto your Desktop. That way you have an easy way of accessing and remembering what your current project is, because it is on your desktop, AND the single real file is in your My Documents folder. Thus, one file, and no syncing problem.

The easiest way I can think of to make shortcut icons to your files in progress is (mentioned above) to just open the My Documents folder and right-click and drag the file to your desktop. When you let the right-mouse button go, just select the [Create shortcut here] option.

Later, when you no longer need immediate access to that file, you just delete the shortcut icon (they are identified by the little curved arrow in the lower left corner). deleting a shortcut icon does not damage or remove the real file it is "pointing" to.

3. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Thanks ChuckE,

The reason I do it this way is that I have a MY Documents folder from a secondary hard drive on my desktop. In those documents I have another folder in which I keep my new up to date paragraphs so that in the event of a crash of my main drive, I won't lose any of my writing. When I drag my new paragraphs into the designated folder in My Documents, it used to automatically stay on my desktop as a shortcut to the folder too. My problem is that it no longer works that way. I can live with it by just copying the file and dropping it into the folder, but the real problem is, why can I not save anything to MY Documents or to My Pictures?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What you need is a backup system to make backups of your important data. Cobian is a good backup program that allows you to keep several versions of files.

Do you have multiple My Documents folders? Where is the primary, system one located? Did you move it? Why can't you save files to it? Do you get an error? What's the error?

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

If your "My Documents" are located on another drive, then that is the reason files would be copied when you dragged them onto your desktop. The Desktop has to be on your C: drive, if your "My Documents" are on another drive then the default action, when dragging, is going to copy. Just like I detailed.

Sure, I understand the idea of using another drive for your My Documents, because you worry about your main drive (C:\) failing. But what makes you think that the secondary drive won't fail? It is just as possible. If you only have one location where you are storing anything, then when that goes you are just as up the creek.

Plus, changing the default location of where your My Documents are just complicates matters when you start up some program that expects the usual C: drive location for My Documents and it either can't find it, or re-creates the location which now duplicates and complicates just how many "My Documents" folders you have.

If you want something a little more safe, a little more "main stream and uncomplicated" just put your My Documents back where it ought to be. Then use an automated backup routine to duplicate (copy) your files onto that secondary drive on a regular basis, such as every evening. That way, even if your main drive goes, all your duplicated files are on your secondary drive. When you re-build your main drive it is then a very easy task to copy back all your backed up files onto the main drive again.

I do that sort of backup. PLUS I also run a free online backup program to copy off all my important files. Check out Mozy. They give you a very easy to use online backup toll AND at least 2GB of free online storage.

6. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Thanks DoubleHelix,

I save my work to MY Documents folders in my slave hard drive and I keep the My Documents folder on my desktop. I also back everyting up on DVD's or CD's. But, as you suggest, I save everything to My Documents on my slave drive.

My main problem though is that I can't save anything to My Documents or My Picturs by clicking on Save As and selecting either of those locations. I can only save them to my Desktop and then drag them into the open folder I want to put them in. It's awkward and time-consuming. Any suggestions for that?

7. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Thanks, ChuckE,

I'll look into Rosy. But what I have always been able to do is open my slave drive My Documents folder, which I keep on my desktop, open it, and open the folder I use for my writing project, and drag my new paragrphs Word file into that folder. It alway automatically left the shortcut to that file on my desktop. Now it doesn't do that. I have to copy it and paste it into the folder.

But, as I said, my real concern is why, when I try to save a Word file or My Pictures file to a My Documents folder, or to My Pictures, it doesn't get saved there by clicking on Save As and selecting either of the two options (A My Documents folder or to My Pictures). What I need to know is why this no longer works :)

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What My Documents folder? You can't have two on the same computer for the same user account. Windows only sees one as the system folder My Documents.

You still have posted the full path for either folder or the exact error message you receive

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

I don't think you mean What as you may mean Which? :)

The OP may have created a folder named "My Documents" (or maybe more :confused: [slap]!) and this could be part of the problem.
    I have one customer who did exactly that, even copying it multiple times, and she just had a real mess of trying to understand what was where, and why, and when, etc. etc.

There is one way of always getting to the System recognized "My Documents" folder by pressing the Windows+R key (which opens the Run window), then:
    in WinXP: entering "my documents"
    or
    in Vista or Win7: entering "documents"
    and then clicking the [OK] button.

That will open the System recognized "My Documents" folder for THAT USER.

10. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Hi DoubleHelix,

I have My Documents on my main C: Drive and I also have My Documents on my slave, or in my case, my E: Drive. I only use my C: Drive for my Operating System and applications. I use the MY Documents in E: Drive to keep all mey document folders in. I've always done it that way. If I want to, I can keep the same files in My Documents on both hard drives.

11. ChuckE

ChuckE

Since the System only recognizes ONE true "My Documents" folder, and you have decided to create a second, same named, and you are comfortable in maintaining the same files in both, then I don't see how we can help you.

You are creating your own confusion and you want us to explain your confusion. The system trys to make things easy for you, I have tried to explain the folly of your actions, I have tried to give you alternative solutions or perhaps better ways to accomplish what it is you think you are doing, and you still want to go your own way.

There is a saying I coined years ago: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't keep him from p*ssing in it."

I hope you the best of luck in the future, I don't think I can help you further.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So where can't you save files, and what is the exact error you get when you try?

13. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

I don't get an error message. I just tried to save the info that ChuckE kindly gave me, although I wasn't sure what he meant by Window+R key.

That aside, I copied his info to a Word page and tried to save it to my desktop by clicking on SAVE AS and then selecting My Desktop. It didn't save it to my desktop.

I pasted it again to to Word and could only save it by ckicking on SAVE (Not SAVE AS) and that way it got saved to my desktop. It was only from there that I was able to drag it to a folder in My Documents.

So my question again is, why doesn't SAVE AS save my documents anymore? It has for years until just very recenty.

This is also the case when I try to save a picture to My Pictures. SAVE AS simply doesn't work anymore.

14. ChuckE

ChuckE

Windows+R key. The Windows key is the one relatively new key on PC keyboards that either has a Flag or the word Start on it. It is similar in function that the Alt key or the Ctrl key would be, but the end result can be, and usually is, different. It really all depends upon the overall program "watching" the pressing of your keyboard keys as to what actions are done when you press some key combination.

Windows + R means to press and hold the Windows (or Flag key, as I like to call it) and then press the R key. Then you let both go. Try it.

Try the "Windows + E" combo and see what happens.
    Try the "Windows + D" combo and see what happens. (Do it again, to reverse that action)
    Try the "Windows + L" combo and see what happens.

I'll wait.

15. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

No ChuckE,

My MY DOCUMENTS folder from my E:Drive is on my desktop. I have always been able to save files to it by using the SAVE AS option or by opening a folder in it and dragging my Word page into it, leaving a copy of same on the desktop automatically. But now, at least, I can copy the file to it and still have it on my desktop, so it's no big deal.

But the SAVE AS OPTION no longer works as it used to. It won't save files to My Documents on C: Drive or E: Drive (My main Drive and my slave drive) It's still a problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice