1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft "Office" XP Professional with Front Page/I only want to install EXCEL

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hotskates, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I have Windows XP "Home Edition" on my computer now, and I need to learn EXCEL (because I'm using it at work and I have never used it before), so my boss sent me home with the disk from the computer at work which is the entire WIndows XP Professional with Front Page. How can I just install Excel off of that disk? I don't want to install the whole thing because I don't need it. Is this possible?

If it isn't possible, then can I install the whole "Professional edition" and keep it separate from my home computer software (home edition), possibly under another user account or something like that?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi hotskates

It should give you the option of a Typical, Custom or Advanced installation.

Windows XP Home Edition is referring to the Operating System.
    Office XP Professional is referring to the Office suite itself.
    Office XP Professional should include: Excel 2002, Word 2002, Outlook 2002, Access 2002 and PowerPoint 2002.

What does the Disk actually say?

3. HandleX

HandleX

Choose - "Custom" and then just UNcheck everyone you do not want installed ;)

4. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Hi EAFielder........There are 3 disks that he gave me:
    1. Office XP "Professional with Front Page" - version 2002, Enterprise, Disc 1
    2. " " " " " " " Media content, Disk 2
    3. " " " " " " " Step by Step,Interactive Training - Enterprise, Disk 3

5. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

So then, Excel would work ok with my WINDOWS Home edition?

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Disk 1 contains only the Office XP suite, not the operating system.
    The Office XP Professional software just has a similar name to the operating system.
    Yes, installing the entire Office XP Professional package or just one of the programs onto your Windows XP Home Edition operating system should be fine.

7. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I"m going to work on this tomorrow and then I'll let ya know how it turns out;)

8. coachdan32

coachdan32

I would rethink your decision to install the whole suite. Not often do you get a chance to get Office at no charge to you. All the programs that come with it come in handy at some time (the only one most people could do without is Access) and you could learn the entire suite which would benefit you in the long run.

9. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

What is the Media Content on disk #2 ?

And, if I install the entire Suite program, will that override or cover up every aspect of my home edition of Microsoft Works?

10. coachdan32

coachdan32

It shouldn't bother Works at all, although I am not sure why that would matter. Once you get used to Office, Works will be the first thing you uninstall.

11. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Thanks guys.......I installed all the programs and all is well! Now I have to get busy and figure out how they all work:eek:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice