Solved: Microsoft Outlook 2003 mail merge problem please help!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

16bit

:D hello,
we are running office 2003. when doing a mail merge in outlook from our contacts list
word is inserting a blank line into some of the contacts between the address line and the city line.
eg:
name
address line 1
address line2

city
county
postcode

has anyone else come across this annoying glitch and have any ideas how to fix it???
if you can your a star!
thanks
Iain

hi 16bit,

is this Merging into a WORD doc? :-

is the blank line where you have another merge field e.g. address line 3 that is blank for some contacts?

if so, in your Merge make sure that you have selected 'don't print blank lines when merge fields are empty'.

There mustn't be anything else on that line either otherwise of course it still has to print that line.

HTH
Hew

16bit

hello there!
yeah it is mergeing into a word document.
the blank line just appears between the last line of the address and the city. it happens if there is 2 or 3 lines in the address. In outlook 2003 the field where the address is entered is a box where each line can be entered, not address line 1 field, address line 2 field etc..
i have tried to find and deselect the 'don't print blank lines when merge fields are empty' bit but cant seem to find it!
thank u very much for your help!
Iain

hi again 16bit,

I've done a bit more checking and I found that the 'ignore blank lines' option doesn't seem to work if the address in outlook has blank lines (or Carriage Returns at the end of lines) in it's address box; however when you go to edit this using the Address button it formats the address box lines into other fields (not sure what criteria it uses).

Anyway, that's what I would suggest you check, the actual source addresses themselves.

It also seems to depend on which Merge fields you used to create your doc, Postal Address seems to be an amalgam of other fields;

HTH
Hew

16bit

:cool: Thanks Hew!
That has sorted it it, if i select the address line as businees address and leave the city and state fields not matched, it merges the full postal address with no blank lines!!!!
hooray, now marketing can get their mail shots done!
thank you very much for your help!!!!!!!
Iain

Hi 16bit,

you are welcome and I am glad I was of help.

Would you use Thread Tools to mark as Solved please?

This was good for me also, as I delved into the way the addresses are stored although still some mystery!!

lol
Hew

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online