1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the server

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by KASAWARII, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KASAWARII

KASAWARII Thread Starter

I am the only one facing this problem in our network. The problem is when I try to send a message and clicking on the "To" button in order to activate the address list, I get the following pop up message shown in the title above and outlook freezes for the next 5 to 10 minutes before it finally loads the address list with an error message saying "Operation Failed".

These are my failed attempts:

• Run repair on MS office professional 2010
    • Given myself a static address rather than DHCP assigned address
    • Disabled all add-ins
    • created several outlook profiles with some on cached mode and others not. I then set outlook to prompt for which profile I should use on start up. I actually tried all the profiles I created.
    • My inbox, sent items, deleted items all contain less than 50 items .
    I don't think it is network or server related since I am the only user facing this problem. I am running WINXP Pro Version 2002 SP3 with 3GB of RAM. I am using outlook 2010. I am connected to our Ethernet network with a speed of 100Mbps. I can Ping our mail server successfully.

Sorry for the novel but if there is any help against my fail attempts would be grateful and if I need to provide some more information then do let me know.

Thanks.:confused::confused:

2. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Address book update maybe needs to be done, but un-tick since last update, do a full one, sometimes the part one fails, also check you have the right address book listed, (we have several in our company as they keep buying companies), i was going to suggest deleting profile and starting again but you have already done that.

Did you exit fully before re-adding the profile, sometimes 2010 does not like it unless you exit from deleting it properly before going back in and creating the profile again, don’t ask me why it just is.

Sorry cannot think of anything else, you have just about covered it, other than maybe doing a complete uninstall and install again instead of a repair.

3. KASAWARII

KASAWARII Thread Starter

Thanks Beanie for your reply I appreciate the idea never thought of that but I'll keep it for future use.....However what I actually did to solve the problem was to simply reset the Domain controller which is the server with DHCP which I believe might have been an IP address conflict causing this.

My email works like lightning now lol....

4. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Glad to hear you solved it, the only experience I have had with a domains or domain controller is changing it when re-setting passwords or adding permissions to a profile that I want to change as quick as possible, I have not had much experience with an exchange server

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice