1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Security Essentials Validation Error!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Marine41991, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marine41991

Marine41991 Thread Starter

Hello all,
    Heres my problem that I have been having,
    I wanted to use Microsoft Security Essentials as it was highly recommended to me.
    But when I download it and it comes to the 'validation' page to see if my computer is windows genuine it just freezes and then says 'Microsoft security essentials has stopped working' .
    My computer is genuine though, and I activated it on their website too!

So if anyone could help me with this problem that would be amazing!

2. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

3. jmatt

jmatt

4. Marine41991

Hey guys!

Well I did try the beta, and once it started to 'install' the same thing happened 'microsoft secutrity essentials has stopped working'.

At first I tried to just 'run' it after it downloaded on the web browser. After that didn't work, I dragged it to the desktop and tried to install it from their. The same thing happened as before.

I have also tried to follow the steps that some people used that helped them on other forums.
    This site here:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com...t/thread/3f877be5-3a04-47b7-a3ee-835910633110

Has great steps to fix the problem. But the thing is, I can't access my 'Application Data' file, nor can I find a file called Windows Genuine Advantage.

Thanks for your posts!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have a security suite or anti-spyware application that could be objecting to MSE? Or one that was uninstalled but did not go away completely and cleanly?

6. Marine41991

Well I have AVG 9.0 as of now.
    I also have some tools to remove spyware like Avira AntiVir, but that doesn't run unless I'm doing a spyware scan.

7. jmatt

jmatt

8. helpful

helpful

Try checking under C:\ProgramData\Windows Genuine Advantage\Data instead for Vista/Windows 7

9. Marine41991

I did find C:\ProgramData but I did not find Windows Genuine Advantage in it.

Thanks for the post!

Oh and I am running on Windows 7 64Bit

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't find "Windows Genuine Advantage" anywhere on my Windows 7 systems. And I have genuine systems and MSE installed and running.

Suggest you remove AVG, or at least try the install of MSE with AVG disabled.

11. Marine41991

Alright, thanks pal!
    I will install it without AVG on.
    And how is MSE working for you?

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Uninstall Avg and Avira, as those are antivirus programs and you should never install more than one antivirus program at a time. Antispyware programs you can but neither of those are.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Haven't had a single problem on XP, Vista or Windows 7. That's why I'm so puzzled that you are having this issue. I "fired" AVG free anti-virus and Norton Anti-virus (only on one system) shortly after MSE came out. I did uninstall those applications before installing MSE.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

I also have it working on a Vista 64 bit and a Windows 7 64 bit without any issues.

15. Marine41991

Alright guys and gals, I finally installed MSE without any problems!
    What I had to do was uninstall AVG and Avira (even though Avira doesn't run on startup)
    And after that I had to install Windows 7 again (not a format, because I kept all of my previous files from before) and then installed MSE without a hitch!

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out and succeeded!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!