1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Service Pack 2.0 Pack 2 and 3.0 pack 3

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by seattlesandy, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seattlesandy

seattlesandy Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first time using this. I have in my Control Panel Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1 , Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 and 3.0 Service Pack 3. Do I need all of these or can I delete one the free up some memory. OS Version is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3,32 bit.
    Thanks,
    Jill

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

All that stuff is pretty much necessary.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Jill:

Microsoft NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 appear to be the most popular and required versions for some programs and drivers to install and work.

If you also have versions 3.0 and 3.5 installed, leave them alone and don't uninstall them.

If you're prompted at the Windows Updates site to download and install version 4.0, decline to do so.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Open MY COMPUTER, right-click the hard drive icon, then click Properties.

What's listed for the capacity, free space, and used space?

Assuming the computer that you're discussing is the Dell that's described in your "computer specifications" information, look at the sticker on it and then advise what the 7-character service tag number is.

4. seattlesandy

Yes, it is the Dell. thanks, I am not the best at this stuff. The properties said 12.3GB used 58.8GB available. When I do my Norton backup and ohter things it tells me the RAM is low but this looks like I have a lot of space. I thought that was why it runs so slow. When I changed to Norton it takes a long time to bring up Yahoo and others. What could make it so slow to sign on?:confused: Why do you want my service tag number.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The purpose of the 7-character service tag number is to determine how much RAM your computer supports and what type RAM module it uses. You're not divulging any personal information by providing it here. We do it all the time.

What model name and model number is that Dell, and is it a desktop or a laptop?

You appear to have only 512 MB of RAM in that computer, and that's one reason why it's running slow and getting "low on virtual memory" warnings. Norton is system-hungry and doesn't do well in older, slower computers.

If the hard drive properties is showing 12.3 GB used space 58.8 GB free space, your computer isn't hurting at all for hard drive space. I think your getting RAM(memory) and hard drive space confused.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. seattlesandy

The service tag is B0C2Q81 it is a desktop. I do not know the model and #. Can I update my system to a newer version? Or can I free up some Memory?
    Thanks,
    Jill(y)

7. Rache

Rache Banned

Memory is to do with RAM, not hard drive space. As already said you need to get more ram. You can increase your vertual memory which helps to speed things up when the usual ram is busy. Press the MS key and Pause/Break key together, then go to Advanced, then Performance, then Advanced, then Vertual Memory and change to 2000 min and 3000 max, then click set, then click ok.

You also need to defrag using Auslogics Defrag http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-...67503.html?part=dl-6267754&subj=dl&tag=button and also download CCleaner and run http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ but you'll have to re-enter all your sites' passwords.

This should speed things up.

Personally I'd get rid of Nortons (because it slows everything down badly) using their removal tool and install a free firewall like ZoneAlarm http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/anti-virus-spyware-free-download.htm and a good free antivirus like Avast http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

8. seattlesandy

Wow, that is really cool. I change the RAM like you said and my computer is a lot faster. I did not do the other 2 things, the Defrag I do already and I have a lot of password auto fill and do not want to re-do them. Thanks a MILLION
    seattlesandy

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice