1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Update (KB949810) Failed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Joe Bagga, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joe Bagga

Joe Bagga Thread Starter

Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810) Failed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All attempts to install this Microsoft automatic update fail !
    Note: all other updates pushed out on same day installed OK!

It downloads OK - but fails installation.

Anybody else having trouble with this Update ?
    Any Known Fixes ?

Thanks 4 any Help !

BVR
    Joe B!

PS: Screen Shots (with Error Code IDs) Attached

Attached Files:

2. Joe Bagga

Joe Bagga Thread Starter

Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810) Failed
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe I'm the only one with a Windows XP Build that is having trouble installing this (possibly unnecessary & intrusive) MS Update.

But - I don't find any Google posts from folks who are experiencing the same problem; so maybe it's just my system configuration settings ???

I have my system locked down pretty tight, and have minimized the number of Microsoft Services running in the background. Maybe there's a gottcha there ?
    But I've researched and enabled all services needed for normal updates (remember - this was a slew of updates: only KB949810 failed to install) ??

HELP is able !

THANX !

BVR
    Joe B!

3. Ratboy

Ratboy

Joe,

I can't explain why, but I get the same error on my desktop and laptop. I just figured it was an M$ issue since it happened on both.

4. Ratboy

Ratboy

5. Joe Bagga

Joe Bagga Thread Starter

Thanks for the condolences Ratboy !
    ----------------------------------------------------

Concur - this update is typical Microsoft Malware !

I've disabled (hidden) this update in Microsoft Updates and aint going to worry about it. Maybe in a year or two I'll try it again.

I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Linux - Ubuntu and Open Office. I never seem to have the problems using their FREE stuff the way I have problems that I paid for with Microsoft!

BVR
    Joe B!

6. Joe Bagga

Joe Bagga Thread Starter

Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) Notifications (KB949810) fails to install in Automatic Updates

Could this be because I have disabled ctfmon.exe IAW:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft's "ctfmon.exe" has to do with the Language Bar just to the left of the System Tray (Notification Area).

The Language Bar is annoying (if you don't use it / want it displayed) and "ctfmon.exe" is an auto-start process that even "msconfig.exe" can't kill (it will keep coming back). You have to disable it IAW Microsoft instructions (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599).

I have Hidden the OGA (KB949810) Update (in Automatic Updates) because it always fails and is another example of Microsoft Malware !

I'm guessing it (the constant Failure to Install) might have to do with me having ctfmon.exe disabled !!!!!

Any Microsoft Wizzards (MCSE - MCSA) out there who can confirm / deny this ???

Any information appreciated !

BVR
    Joe B!

7. Joe Bagga

Joe Bagga Thread Starter

This is the first FIX for this problem I've seen (no thanks to Microsoft - Thank you!)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=8

Info: Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810) failure when Task Scheduler Not Running in Windows Update

Phil Wilson 9/13/2009 12:41 PM PST

This update will fail if the Windows Task Scheduler service is not running.
    Analysis of the failed MSI log indicates it's calling a custom action called
    CreateSchedule which is apparently dependent on the Task Scheduler service.
    If you're like me and routinely mark this service "manual" you'll see this
    error.
    --
    Phil Wilson

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (OGA KB949810) General Information

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...-kb949810-v2-0-48-0-released-to-more-markets/

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice