1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft updates= disconnected automatic updates & am leary, now !

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Esteban32696, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Esteban32696

Esteban32696 Thread Starter

W=2000XP.IE6,, About 2 months ago, I { && many, many others } had problems with MS automatic updates.Seems a couple of the updates did more damage than anything else. I had to go into Safe Mode to restore my computer to an earlier date. All is running very well, now, with automatic updates turned off. I do get the pop-up at the bottom telling me this alert, but I ignore. ONLY thing is, I am NOT updating anything right now !! I am unsure of what I need & what I don't need, or what may damage my computer. I am fairly computer experienced & don't know the best way to custom install a few updates, here & there, as are best for my system. What is the BEST way for me to keep the system safe , as far as updates go ??

2. stantley

stantley

Go to the Microsoft update site and click on 'Custom'. It will show you what updates you need and you can choose which ones you want to install. You should get the critical updates and security updates, but most of the others are optional.

3. Esteban32696

I just don't want to download an update that messed my computer up, like last time. I had to go thru " safe mode " to restore everything to an earlier date, to get it to do anything.

4. stantley

stantley

Well don't download the update that caused the problem again, keep track of the KB numbers. What you can do is download one update at a time, if you have a problem with an update uninstall it.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

What I do is setup Windows Update to notify me when updates are available, but not automatically install them. I let them sit for about a week and if I don't see posts here like "update KBxxxxxx crashes my system", then I install them.

6. Esteban32696

Thanks for the advice. I am going to keep track of the downloads, I need, & do them one at a time. Thanks again !!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/632729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice