Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Microsoft USB Intellimouse

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Damonc 
#1 ·
A friend gave me a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer yesterday, so I plugged it into my systems USB port, the light came on (see pic) but I can't move the cursor I can click, and use the wheel but that's it.
I've tried all sorts of things, at the moment I have my old mouse (cordless, PS/2) & the USB Intellimouse both plugged in, the cordless works fine, but as I said I can click with the other.
some of the things I have tried:
-Deleting the cordless mouse, and starting the system up with only the Intellimouse
-Deleting the USB and letting it re-detect that and the mouse
-Just starting the system with the Intellimouse without deleting anything

The Intellimouse shows up in the mouse section of the control panel (I'm running XP Home Ed.)
but I simply can't move the cursor. I actually thought that the mouse was ment to have 2 lights under it but I'm not sure. my guess is that the camera in the mouse is dead, my friend didn't know if it worked or not, but I just want to make sure before I dispose of it.
Could it be worth trying it using a USB to PS/2 coverter?

With the picture that should appear with this post I have put a red box around where it lights up.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah I know that there is only one light... and I thought that there was ment to be 2, I'm currently downloading the software from Microsoft.. hopefully it will make it work... if not, got any other suggestions?

#7 ·
The rear light coming on tells you your connection is working. If the bottom light isn't working, the mouse is faulty.

I'll disagree with brianf's comment about both lights not working then the mouse is faulty. If you have a connection issue, like starting up, and Windows doesn't detect your USB mouse, you will need to reboot, and usually the mouse will be detected then, but both lights will be out at that time it is not picked up bt Windows. It's not a hardware or software fault at all, but by design to show that no connection is being made.

I just go into this to show that your connection is valid as indicated by the rear light, and the mouse is faulty because the bottom center one doesn't come on at all.

#9 ·
Fair play to ya! Did you have any spare pieces afterwards?

Reminds me of the time I took apart my old stereo because the CD player was acting up. I ended up with a few spare pieces, but somehow got it to work better!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.