1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: microsoft word (2003) files keep showing this after every line: ¶

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sadness madness, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sadness madness

sadness madness Thread Starter

Hi, my problem is that when I was using Microsoft Word 2003, I reduced the font of one of the files I was working on and the entire file just transformed so that:
    after every line, this symbol appears: ¶
    before some lines, this symbol appears: º
    and between words, this symbol appears•

This actually happened before, but i, ah, don't remember how i got rid of it. I know it's kind of a small problem, but it's really driving me crazy. :(

Thanks. :)

2. nuaeman

nuaeman

This is normal problem. That ever happen to me as well but unfortunately Im also not very sure what I did to remove it. I will try to ask my office mate and get back here if got an answer.

3. dannyn

dannyn

turn off show hide.
    one second ill give you a step by step.

4. dannyn

dannyn

Tools
    Customize
    Show standard and formatting tool bars on two rows (check that)
    Then click ¶ and you should be set.

5. sadness madness

sadness madness Thread Starter

Yay, it's okay now! Thanks a lot! :)

6. dannyn

dannyn

no problem. please mark you own thread solved. thread tools>mark solved.

7. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    It is actually a very handy tool. I typically leave mine turned in to see what people have done within the document. Some people do not know about the center tool so they will hit the spacebar 25 time to try and center the text or they will use the tab key multiple times as well.

For clarification purposes and to show you the value I will explain what the symbols mean.

¶ is a paragraph symbols and tells you whenever someone has hit the enter key on the keyboard
    º This typically is shown in-between words. This is what they call a non-breaking space. If you had a name like Bill Lumbergh and did not want it break across separate lines and stay together, then you would use that character in-between the first and last name. To input this you use CTRL+SHIFT+Space Bar
    • This is a normal space, so whenever you hit the spacebar you will see this character

Finally if you see an arrow that means the person has added a tab character to the document.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice