1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Word 2010 - file open dialog box not displaying

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by robinbeaulne, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robinbeaulne

robinbeaulne Thread Starter

Experts

I have a user who has been using Word 2010 for a couple of weeks with no issues until this morning where she is no longer able to open word documents using either File-Open, Open on the quick access toolbar or CTRL O.

At present if you go to the file tab and select open - it goes back to the home tab but does not display the open file dialog box.

You can select an item from the recent file list and this will open, you can select a file in windows explorer and double click and it will open so the association is OK. But I cannot get the open dialog to appear in word.

Excel and other office programs are working fine it is only Word.

The user is using Windows 7, Microsoft office 2010 standard.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Office software but the problem has persisted.

I have been unable to 'google' my way through this one, so hopefully someone here can suggest a solution.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Are you sure this issue happens only in Word? What about Excel or PowerPoint?

3. Abe999

Abe999

4. luukbokhove

luukbokhove

When you restart a Microsoft Office program after a power failure or similar problem, the program automatically opens any recovered files. If for some reason the recovery file didn't open, you can open it yourself.
    1. On the Standard toolbar, click Open.
    2. On the Show pop-up menu, click All Documents.
    3. Locate the folder that contains your recovery files.
    Each recovery file is named "AutoRecover save of file name."
    4. Open the recovery file.
    5. Click Save.
    6. In the Save As box, enter the name of the existing document.
    7. When you see a message asking whether you want to replace the existing document, click Yes.
    Any recovery files that haven't been saved are deleted when you quit WordTips
    • If you can't open the recovery file, you can try to recover the text from the damaged file.
    • To find out or change where your recovery files are stored, click Preferences on the Word menu, and then click File Locations.
    In case it didn’t help you, I would suggest you professional software for crashed/corrupted Word documents https://www.repairtoolbox.com/wordrepair.html Word Repair Toolbox

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice