1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Word 2010 not my default word processor?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lastrachris, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lastrachris

lastrachris Thread Starter

I got the new version of word today on my brand new computer and I need a word processor for my job, and its not letting me pick it as my default one. When I go to the control panel and try to do it from there, it still doesn't pick it up. Why is this happening and how can I go through and change it?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How are you trying to set Word as a default program in Control Panel? What other word processing program is installed? What operating system are you running?

3. lastrachris

Windows seven and its something like word converter or something. I'm not sure what process its trying to run.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's not enough info to help. I don't know what you're selecting in Control Panel.

5. lastrachris

The set default option.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You'll have to use posts with more than a couple of words or sentences. I have no idea what you're talking about. I asked several questions, and you're not providing any answers. I can't see your computer so you have to be descriptive in your replies.

7. lastrachris

I have Windows 7, I am trying to set Windows office 2010 and I heard that you could go to the control panel and you could go to the default program sub folder. I am aware you can not see my computer. I am just not sure what to do in this situation so I am pretty clueless. The control panel thing was just a failed attempt. I need to know who to make Microsoft office word 2010 as my default word processor. Thats all I need.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Right-click a Word document, and select Open With -> Choose Default Program. Pick Word 2010, and check the box "Always use...". Click OK.

9. richiesajan

richiesajan

Open the Word 2010 and create(save) a blank file anywhere (like on your desktop.) Now right-click this file and select properties and select Microsoft Word 2010 from this list and click OK at the bottom.

10. lastrachris

Well thats the thing, there is no option for Microsoft office 2010 at the bottom.

11. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Default word processor? I had no idea there was such a thing.

12. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I think we are talking about file associations. If you go to Control Panel > Default Programs, and choose "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" you will see a list of file types and the programs they are assciated with. If you select a file type and click "Change", you can choose the default program used to open the file.

For dot, dochtml, dotx, doc, docx, docm, dotm, docxml, rtf and wbk files you can choose to open them with Microsoft Word (except this should already be the default for these file types unless some third party application has changed them).

13. lastrachris

Thank you. I just ended up giving up and buying word.

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What?? You said in your first post that you had Office installed.

15. lastrachris

Yeah, it was a beta thing. I went out and bought the official version. Works a little better.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice