Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Microsoft Word 2010 not my default word processor?

19K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  lastrachris 
#1 ·
I got the new version of word today on my brand new computer and I need a word processor for my job, and its not letting me pick it as my default one. When I go to the control panel and try to do it from there, it still doesn't pick it up. Why is this happening and how can I go through and change it?

#7 ·
I have Windows 7, I am trying to set Windows office 2010 and I heard that you could go to the control panel and you could go to the default program sub folder. I am aware you can not see my computer. I am just not sure what to do in this situation so I am pretty clueless. The control panel thing was just a failed attempt. I need to know who to make Microsoft office word 2010 as my default word processor. Thats all I need.

#12 ·
I think we are talking about file associations. If you go to Control Panel > Default Programs, and choose "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" you will see a list of file types and the programs they are assciated with. If you select a file type and click "Change", you can choose the default program used to open the file.

For dot, dochtml, dotx, doc, docx, docm, dotm, docxml, rtf and wbk files you can choose to open them with Microsoft Word (except this should already be the default for these file types unless some third party application has changed them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.