1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Word new document

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mobf03, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mobf03

mobf03 Thread Starter

I have inadvertently saved something somehow that every-time I open Word for a new doc, it opens with a previously saved line already there. Please help!

2. Surreal2

Surreal2

Search your computer for files *.dot. These are the Word document templates. Open them and see whether any include the line of text. If so, delete the line and resave it - ensuring you save it with the .dot extension.

PS..I don't know what happens if you double-click on the .dot file in the search window, but if they open as .docs in Word, just make a note of their location and then go File/Open in Word, navigate to the locations and open them (you may have to adjust the drop down box of file types to show .dot or 'all files' in order to see them).

3. mobf03

mobf03 Thread Starter

Thanks for the timely reply. I will respond with results.

4. mobf03

mobf03 Thread Starter

To no avail. I have been unable to find this file following your search instructions. Just to verify; everytime that I open Word or while in Word ,open a new document, this default template opens instead of the blank one as before. When I delete this line of text and do what I need to do and go to save as it attempts to save my new doc under this same time title instead of "doc 1" as it use to.

5. Surreal2

Surreal2

Hmm..just to check...

With Word closed, do another search of your computer (ensure you search the whole computer including all hard drives). In the box type:

Normal.dot

This should find one or more instances of Normal.dot. Right-click the file(s) and choose Rename - then rename it/them to Normal.old

Re-start Word, which will then create a new Normal.dot template. If this still contains the text line post back for the next step.

6. mobf03

mobf03 Thread Starter

This worked! Followed you lead, found Normal.dot in "Application Data\Microsoft\Templates", renamed, & etc.
    Now; is this bogus template residing somewhere that I need to find and delete?

7. Surreal2

Surreal2

It sounds as though the text line was added to the original Normal.dot template file (anything added to a template will appear in all new documents that are based on the template).

If you're interested you could check this by:

Searching for the Normal.old you renamed.

Renaming it back to a .dot extension but with another name instead of Normal - such as MytestNormal.dot

Then right-click on it and select open. The .dot template will open and I'd guess the line of text will be on it. You can then either rename it back to Normal.old and leave it there, or delete it.

8. Surreal2

Surreal2

Oh..and if the problem is now sorted, please mark your thread 'solved' using the thread tools at the top of the page.

9. mobf03

mobf03 Thread Starter

I sincerely appreciate you assistance. Thank You. Also will mark sloved; Thanks for this tip also.

10. Surreal2

Surreal2

You're very welcome :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice