1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft word new document

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Woohoo, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Woohoo

Woohoo Thread Starter

Hi! I'm new but really glad I found you. Please forgive me in advance for my very basic questions.

Problem:

My son typed a report and saved it in word. Now everytime I open word, that report automatically comes up as the new document. It has somehow become a default setting I guess. I've tried every tool, template, option etc. with no success in restoring the original settings.

Any suggestions? ( I mean, I like Jim Morrison and all, but having to see "Why the Doors were the Greatest Band Ever" on my screen numerous times daily is Brainwash!!!)

Thank you!

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

...riders on the storm...
    LOL

sounds like junior saved it as the normal.dot - the default 'blank' document with your margin, font, etc settings

1. save jim is god as a document (save as...jim.doc) for posterity,
    close word
    2. do a search for normal.dot, rename it to normal.old
    3. open word, it will create a new blank document as your default document
    4. hide all your old LPs and cassettes except for ABBA

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Woohoo:

You are TOO funny! You are just the kind of people we LOVE to help around here. LOVE your name.

No question is too basic.

Our *site owner* (I call him Mikey) likes to say:

"There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer."

(See: http://www.helponthe.net/ Top-right of page)

And jbcalg's answer should do it for you. If you ever get an answer that doesn't, you come right back here and say (nicely) "It didn't work!"

:D

Welcome to TSG!

4. Woohoo

Woohoo Thread Starter

OK. I'm a doofus. I have tried this several times and even asked Dreamboat for additional help. Still nothing is working. Any suggestions as to what I'm missing or possible solutions?

Thanks again!

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What version of Windows are you using?
    What version of Word?

We'll get you there!

6. Woohoo

Woohoo Thread Starter

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional and Microsoft word 2000

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Make sure Word is closed.

Hit Start-->Search-->Files or folders.

In the NAMED box, type: normal.dot (make sure you spell this right)

Make sure you're looking in the C: drive.

Hit find now.

Delete any files that come up.

Close the window.

Start Word.

8. Woohoo

Woohoo Thread Starter

Read and reread instructions. Checked and rechecked just to make sure. Deleted normal.dot (2 of them), closed the window, opened word and there he was.

I'm convinced that Jim Morrison has risen from the dead and resides in MS word!! (Actually that won't be so bad if he hasn't aged any)

I sooo appreciate your continual pursuit of a solution.

Woohoo

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Next step.

You've got a document in Word's Startup folder.

So do a Search again. This time type in "Startup" without the quotes.

Your results should have a column that tells you where Startup is located. You'll have several, I suspect. We're looking for a PLAIN YELLOW folder, not a file, so that should narrow it down. Then, that folder needs to be located in something like C:\windows\application data\microsoft\word

Once you've found that folder in the list, double-click the folder. You'll probably see a file in there like Jim Morrison... You can open the file by double-clicking it just to be sure it's the *culprit*. But then close the file and CLOSE WORD, delete the file, and all should be okay.

10. Woohoo

Woohoo Thread Starter

I found the folder called startup which was located in C:\windows\application data\microsoft\word\startup. There was nothing in that folder.

I checked the other folders just for kicks and only one of them contained anything. Of the five folders labeled startup, C\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office\startup contained WSWORD and WRD0003.tmp. I opened WSWORD and that was blank. I have no idea what WRD0003.tmp is as I don't know the application to use to open it. This may be irrelevant but I'm not sure. (Obviously!)

Next step??

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  12. Woohoo

Woohoo Thread Starter

Problem solved!! I LOVE THIS PLACE and thanks to Dreamboat for all of your help.

I followed your link to clean up my hard drive and went through the process. I was not optimistic that renaming normal.dot would work as I had done this several times already (even with the .dot not .doc typo). Anyway, it worked. I was on a mission and I'm happy!

Was the solution actually as a result of cleaning up the hard drive? Just curious.

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    You'll note that the file you found in a startup folder was called something.tmp

Given that, it told me you don't clean your hard drive regularly (or maybe just not properly), and it's little known--especially to newbies--how to clean it up.

I would say that if rebooting your computer doesn't work when you have a problem, cleaning your hard drive would always be step 2.

I've never heard of a temp file getting into a startup folder like that, after 4 years of troubleshooting all day long. Weird.

But, glad it's solved!!

:D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice